What's up with Wordle lately?
by melanzana (2024-04-23 14:49:42)

First Sunday and now today.

Sheesh.

I start with tarse every day. Got it in 6 today to continue
by ndstein04  (2024-04-23 23:02:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my 230 day streak.

Store or Plain if 0/5 *
by Jennyb  (2024-04-23 22:50:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't realize people still played. *
by Wooderson  (2024-04-23 21:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The cool kids moved on to Quordle
by mocopdx  (2024-04-23 20:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wordle got old for me, at least.

Wordle, Quordle, Quordle Séquence.
by Cash  (2024-04-24 00:08:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blossom
Worldle
Globle
Crosswordle
Connections
Spelling Bee (for the pangram)
Strands

And Duolingo.

Cash

How in the world
by teach  (2024-04-24 12:15:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

do you find time to do doctor stuff?

It’s not easy.
by Cash  (2024-04-24 23:49:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I may have to reevaluate my life.

Cash

You misspelled Squaredle *
by ravenium  (2024-04-23 22:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a daily play for me. Love it. *
by goldenarms  (2024-04-24 00:23:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t sleep on Octordle.
by voidoid  (2024-04-23 21:52:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sedercordle is interesting but frankly too easy, since you pretty much guess all the letters of the alphabet.

I like that one
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-24 09:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The thing that's fun about Octordle is that it's scored. It's frightfully easy to get the Quordle in 7, but keeping the Octordle score under 60 takes a bit of doing.

Tangent: What's your first try?....
by Kbyrnes  (2024-04-23 17:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I've been using STONE and if I get 0 for 5, try CHAIR and go from there.

I also do the German and French versions, and once in a while Spanish. These are all just 5-letter words so fairly basically vocabulary.

SAINT, ROPED, LUCKY. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-24 09:05:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

RAISE - why I retired after it was the word last week. *
by RagingBull  (2024-04-24 08:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

PORPO *
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-04-24 08:24:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

SLEPT *
by akaRonMexico  (2024-04-24 08:03:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Faith - since the commie NYT would never have that word.
by domer4  (2024-04-24 00:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OK - somebody prove me wrong.

Different word every day.
by Ndwahoo  (2024-04-23 23:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never becomes formulaic.

STEAM
by El Kabong  (2024-04-23 22:37:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FLUID if none of those letters are there

Stare *
by Melanzana  (2024-04-23 22:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Salet *
by Nitschke  (2024-04-23 21:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I now use SLATE
by ufl  (2024-04-24 11:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I formerly used SWEAT but quit after that proved to be the word, under the assumption that they never use the same word twice.

I never heard of SALET.

I believe it is a leafy green appetizer. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-04-25 07:51:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Always
by beancounter  (2024-04-23 20:59:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

STARE. CLOUD if 0/5 first guess. It is unclear to me why everyone doesn’t use STARE.

Probably because it’s suboptimal. *
by shawno3  (2024-04-23 23:17:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Paste *
by airborneirish  (2024-04-23 20:59:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

KAYAK *
by Charlie Hough  (2024-04-23 20:42:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My 6 year old chose FARTS, and I've stuck with it
by ndzippy  (2024-04-23 20:40:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty effective, actually

I once used SHART, which wordlebot praised as
by Ndwahoo  (2024-04-23 23:05:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent vocabulary.

Combination of
by mobscene  (2024-04-23 19:45:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moist, Flare, and Chunk.

1st guess is STERN, 2nd is AUDIO
by SB JIMBO  (2024-04-23 18:21:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since there are more consonants than vowels, STERN gives me 4 often used ones. AUDIO then gives me the other 4 vowels with another often used consonant. I stick with that method unless I hit on 3 letters with STERN.

Used to use SNORT and ADIEU, but changed about a month ago after SNORT was the word that day.

Opening word is always
by voidoid  (2024-04-23 18:06:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IRATE. In the event that comes up blank, SOUND is next. Gets the vowels and some common consonants out of the way.

Got Wordle in one last summer when IRATE hit.

Today in 3
by BeijingIrish  (2024-04-23 17:47:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My 2-week average: 3.8, skill 88, luck 57.

Other games: Flagle in 2 as always. Another Genius day in Spelling Bee.

I usually wake up around 2:30 or so...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-04-23 18:03:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...(a.m., CDT) and immediately try the NYT spelling bee. I can always get to genius, which is a caption I think is suitable enough for an online word game but rather too encouraging. I can get to genius in 5 minutes and then spend the rest of the day trying to get the rest of the words.

It's also kind of like the NYT crossword, where the editor has favorite words like palapa, muumuu, and ratatat, but doesn't recognize ululant or various other words that people complain about in the forum.

Who hurt you
by airborneirish  (2024-04-23 21:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m going to bed at 230 but that’s because I have to start paying for 6 kids to go to college over the next 15 years starting in 2.5 years. What the heck is your excuse???

I try to turn in by 10 to 11...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-04-23 22:32:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....I drink a cup of water as part of my evening ablutions. My cousin, a well-regarded southwest suburban cardiologist, told me once that there's a thought out there that dehydration can lead to stroke (assuming other contributing factors), and I've had a few friends and family die in their sleep of stroke or infarction. I wake up between 2 and 3 about 4 nights out of seven due to the need to micturate and also, I'm sure, due to being aetatis 69 and not as efficient in the sleep department as I once was. It doesn't bother me. I get 7 or so hours, up around 6 or 6:30, and feel fine...until 10:30 or 11 when I start nodding off.

Now I'm thinking that a latter day Studs Terkel could put together a book of interviews asking people of all ages and stations in life about their sleep habits.

5 Sunday, 6 Monday, nada today. Scared to try tomorrow *
by SB Jimbo  (2024-04-23 16:46:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why do people play difficult/hard mode?
by OrangeJubilee  (2024-04-23 16:31:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And why is it called that? It seems like it should be called stupid mode.

If there are 3* or greater mutually exclusive answers, the smart thing to do is guess as many of those letters as possible. The wordlebot guesses known wrong words all the time.

The worst is when you are down to what you think are only 2 possibilities. You definitely should guess 1 of them then the other ... only to realize you didn't think of the third possibility.

I got both today and Sunday in 6.

* If you KNOW it is only 3, and you have three guesses left, doing it either way yields the same expected outcome I think. But doing the known wrong word also gives protection if there was another option you didn't think of.

I feel angst over submitting a guess I know is wrong
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-23 16:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I play on hard mode, but take a beat now and then because of it. You're right... if the goal were to maximize chances of getting the word in 6 or fewer, one would turn off hard mode and strategically use guesses to go fishing on occasion. And I agree... that approach would require a bit more strategy and skill than just coming up with a guess that fits the information gained so far.

I do think it's possible for a skilled player to get it right every single time with hard mode turned off. I don't think that's possible with it on.

I agree, the bot has never missed. I’ve only missed a few
by OrangeJubilee  (2024-04-23 19:33:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The bot is a perfectly strategic player. I think in 700 rounds I’ve missed 3, and 3 for just forgetting to do it. I am not the best player, so I think perfection is possible.

It sucked. Same as ever *
by ACross  (2024-04-23 15:57:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This post embiggens my spirit
by John_Kreese  (2024-04-23 15:39:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My 78 day streak ended today, I had all the letters but the first on my last three guesses. I had a 50-50 shot on the last one...and I chose poorly. Glad to know I wasn't alone.

But, I'm kind of glad the streak ended. Feeling an obligation to this stupid game every day was getting tiresome, but I would have hated to break the streak by just not doing it one day. It is better to go down as a loser.

That's where hardcore screws you (spoiler)
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2024-04-23 15:53:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lover
Mover
Cover
Hover
Rover

I have run into this exact same problem before and at that point if you stick to the rules of hardcore it's not smarts but luck that gets you the W. Sorry.

I was lucky enough to get the intial R quickly
by ufl  (2024-04-23 16:06:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so I didn't run into that problem. But it is very annoying when you guess four letters and realize that there are a multiplicity of choices for the fifth which lead to actual words.

Agreed - folks who don't play "difficult" mode can't relate
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2024-04-23 17:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess that is life... That said there probably is a "game" here in that we should probably guess the words with repeating letters before exhausting common words. I think something similar is what did my streak in months ago.

I randomly guessed (spoiler)
by ocnd  (2024-04-23 16:04:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

river on my 3rd guess, so rover was an easy 4th

I'm in a contest with co-workers...
by El Kabong  (2024-04-23 15:42:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...so it'd be tougher for me to walk away from it.

I failed today and even had 3 letters in my first guess. *
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-23 15:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got it in 4 both days hardcore style *
by airborneirish  (2024-04-23 15:19:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got it in 3 hanging upside down with my eyes closed. *
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-23 15:27:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Broke my streak today
by El Kabong  (2024-04-23 15:11:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had the second, fourth, and fifth letter by the third guess.

Blew through the rest of my guesses. Had four letters on the last one.

Is that euphemistic code? *
by PWK2  (2024-04-23 18:28:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same thing (spoiler) ...
by CJC  (2024-04-23 15:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My stubbornness bit me in the ass.

Instead doing what they suggest and utilizing a word that incorporates as many of the letters that would work as possible (even though doing that almost always involves using a word that can't be the word), I kept thinking I was going to solve the puzzle on my next guess.

And rover goes against my natural inclination to guess a redundant letter.

And when you play in difficult mode...
by El Kabong  (2024-04-23 15:41:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...you can't guess random words that don't contain the letters you already got.

Sorry i guess it's difficult not hardcore mode
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2024-04-23 15:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is what I was trying to say. I can't remember the prompt but I got all but the first letter on MY FIRST GUESS a few months ago and still got it wrong. Nearly rage quit ever playing again.

Potato, potahto *
by El Kabong  (2024-04-23 16:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got it in four but
by ufl  (2024-04-23 15:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I miss, it is often because of the tendency you mention. I fail to take into account the possibility of a second use of the an already successfully guessed letter.

Guess 4, 5, and 6 were all one letter off
by Shifty  (2024-04-23 15:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes you are left with multiple options for a single letter and it is a a guessing game.

Today I lost that guessing game.

Yep ...
by CJC  (2024-04-23 15:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I suppose the better strategy if the objective is to avoid coming up craps is to formulate a guess that incorporates as many of the potential "last letters" as possible, even though that guess could not be the correct word.

My objective is to guess the word in as few guess as possible, so I'm loathe to "waste" a guess with the above strategy. Today, it cost me.

I never guess a throwaway to find out missing letters *
by Shifty  (2024-04-23 16:00:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know. I almost missed both of them.
by Revue Party  (2024-04-23 15:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Almost.

Failed for the first time ever today. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2024-04-23 15:10:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't understand the question. *
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-23 15:02:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

streakbreaker words
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-23 15:21:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take the form where numerous consonants can be interchanged into one or two open slots. With these words you see people get 4 green by guess #2 and fail. Nothing one can do, particularly if playing hard mode where you can't go fishing to rule out letters.

Got today's in six, luckily. About a year back there
by voidoid  (2024-04-23 17:18:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was one where it was SHA_E after two guesses. R and D were already out, guessed SHAKE, SHAVE, SHAPE and SHALE and the correct answer was SHAME.