Toranaga has a Dumbledore problem
by El Kabong (2024-04-26 11:57:17)
Edited on 2024-04-26 11:57:24

In reply to: Lord Toranaga doesn’t suffer fools.  posted by Inigomontoya

I'm trying to find the substack I read yesterday that talked about this. Edit: Found it, linked it.

Basically it says the Dumbledore problem in the Potter books (Dumbledore is Always Right and Explains it All) is that he's always right about everything and even when things seem to be going wrong, he explains how even the mis-steps were part of the overall plan. The reduces if not eliminates the stakes for the other characters.

The author contends Toranaga has the same issue -- like the Emperor, everything that transpires does so according to his design.

He misses that the story is Mariko's expression of faith. *
by dfw  (2024-04-26 19:01:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the current series, it seemed like Toranaga was really
by 1978Irish  (2024-04-26 12:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beaten before his son died and gave him the long mourning period to set up the plan. I don’t remember that in the book. If doesn’t have mourning period it seems like he has to either surrender or fight while badly outnumbered.

My recollection of the book from over 40 years ago was that he was always in control. Everyone was a chess piece on his board. I am going to have to re-read the book.

Good, good…. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-26 12:13:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post