More like "suck rock."
by BeastOfBourbon (2024-04-26 22:14:18)

In reply to: this song was the sh-t in 1982  posted by jt

Stylized musical pablum that perfectly symbolized the tedium of the 80s. The end of rock-and-roll as we once knew it. The best thing you could say about Toto is that they weren't Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, or the Pet Shop Boys.

I know Across loves the Pet Shop Boys
by jt  (2024-04-27 17:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and honestly, I like their songs as well.

They just released a new album on Friday *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-28 12:21:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what have I, what have I, what have I
by jt  (2024-04-28 18:57:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

done to deserve this?

Let me guess
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-27 09:25:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You prefer Bruce's own version of "Blinded by the Light" to Manfred Mann's version.

I'm a sucker for songs with some complexity in the instrumentation/orchestration, no matter the genre.

That said, I grok the Venn diagram circle you are drawing.

Whoa that is a controversial position - preferring
by ACross  (2024-04-27 14:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Springsteen's version over the crap version.

I will say this. Weezer sucks, and their version of a shit Toto song sucked.

I like Bruce's version.
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-27 17:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not controversial, just an observation that someone who despises Toto is probably going to prefer the raw Bruce version of BBTL over Manfred's saucy version.

I like them both, the way I like Dylan's and Hendrix's versions of Watchtower.

For me, it will always be That Old Time Rock and Roll...
by Barney68  (2024-04-27 09:23:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you better get yourself a partner, go down to the concert
by jt  (2024-04-27 17:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or the local bar.
Check the local newspaper, chances are you won't have to go too far.

You keep Duran Duran’s name out of your whore mouth.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-26 22:33:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’ve held up and have continued to put out good music. Their live shows continue to be phenomenal.

And honestly the Pet Shop Boys are iconic.

I have no opinion on Flock of Seagulls.