Hare wasn't really competing with Karlen for a spot, as
by Fighting_Artichoke (2024-04-22 13:52:08)

In reply to: She entered the Portal before Duffy even left. She must  posted by Raoul

Karlen is a 6'2" forward and Hare is a 5'9" shooting guard. Most of the Irish fans believe ND needs 2 front court players and a combo guard, so we could have grabbed both. Right now we only have 2 front court players (Koval and Maddy), a PG (Liv), a combo guard (Hannah, she's combo because I believe Miles will primarily run the point this season), 2 wings (Soni and Emma) and a 3/4 (Cass). Given our injury history, there is no way we should go into the Fall with only 7 players. 10 players seems like the minimum we should consider, and I'm not counting Kylee because she probably won't be available any time during the season (and if she appears, it will be late and she won't be up to speed).

I would prefer a "3 and D" guard, but effective ones are hard to get, so we'll hopefully get one that either has great range and is sufficient defensively, or a defensive stopper that is pretty effective offensively.

As for the front court, I envision someone who has the physical ability to play C, as Koval won't be able to play anywhere near 40 minutes/game (and I wouldn't want her to, anyway). This player should have the height and/or strength to defend effectively, but doesn't need to be much of an offensive threat (think Kylee). The other F position is more flexible, as that player would provide depth (for foul trouble/injury insurance).

Last season we got only two players from the portal, but we whiffed on one. I hope we bat at least 67% this year. I feel like we owe it to Maddy, Soni (and possibly Liv) to go all out this season for a championship.

Replies: