So let's stop allowing these people to appeal to both ...
by barney68 (2024-01-29 14:38:13)

In reply to: That is my issue with Haley right now.  posted by wpkirish

sides!

MAGA is absolutist: do it our way or be cast into outer darkness.

The rest of the voting public should feel the same: reject MAGA or be cast into outer darkness. Letting all those GOP politicians who say "but I'm not part of that, wink, wink" get away with it allows the GOP as a whole to drift further into MAGA's clutches every day.

You really need to take a longer and less emotional view
by ACross  (2024-01-29 16:04:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Quit barking at the moon and flipping MAGA voters the bird on the highway. Trump has a short shelf life. He may beat Biden, and Biden and Democrats bear some blame.

I would encourage more constructive engagement that vomiting emotion all over the place about Trump bringing the world to an end.

Support local and state GOP candidates like Marine Domer who will be charged with the responsibility of cleaning up this mess.

Plenty of good GOP candidates have been caught up in the flotsam, jetsam, and excrement of bad timing. Cheney and contemporaries for starters. Matt Ryan. Mark Green.

Send a check to Julie Raque Adams in KY.

Had Trump lost big in 2020
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-29 15:08:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Say Biden won by 3 more points and taken NC/Florida and the dems took 2 more senate seats I can guarantee you the Republicans would have dumped MAGA/impeach Trump. Instead they (McConnel types) made the calculation that they could win with MAGA more easily than without and kept playing footsie with them. Beating Biden in 2024/keeping the tax cuts in place/preserving the balance in the SCOTUS were seen as more important than stopping a literal insurrection lead by a Strong Man.

These people should be punished at the ballot box until they decide they've been in the political wilderness for too long and change.

Almost total agreement.
by barney68  (2024-01-29 15:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

My quibble, and it may not even be that, is the word "punished." That seems to be about something in the past. I prefer "coerced" or some such because I want to change future behaviors.

They have to be convinced that their political fortunes are toast with MAGA. All the way down to dog catcher.

I guess I use punished
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-29 15:30:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

To mean seeing negative consequences. The only thing these guys care about is winning. They won't change until MAGA is seen as a way to ensure you lose.

The thing is, with the makeup of the party and the way we draw districts, most of these guys see more danger in losing a primary than a national blow out election. Most Republican House/Senate members are in R plus 10 seats. Some I'm concerned the MAGA doom loop is just going to continue and worsen as the McConnel types are replaced by the JD Vances of the world.