There's an exemption for national security
by Kali4niaND (2024-01-30 17:51:14)

In reply to: There's a Fight Brewing over LNG.  posted by EricCartman

should limits on exports negatively impact U.S. allies, as noted in the linked article.

Its also always amusing to hear right-wing hysterics such as Sen. Kennedy rant about Biden's "War on Oil/Natural Gas"; pervasive throughout his oped.

Surprisingly, there's no mention that under President Biden, we're producing more oil and natural gas than anytime in our nation's history.

How do you see it working?
by ndsapper  (2024-01-30 18:17:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I’m unfamiliar with how the industry works. Can the impact to national security, however defined and by who, be predicted in enough time to reverse the policy and re-start the projects?

In the short term wouldn’t the policy have a net negative effect? Higher energy costs, dirtier energy sources, enriching non-friendly actors, etc.? Seems like a particularly bad time to do any of those things.

Finally, is production a lagging indicator? I don’t think the federal government limits production once permits are obtained. Maybe limiting export capability is a way to do just that.

You don’t owe me an answer (obviously) but know you see things differently than me and likely read different information.

And thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like electoral politics.
by Kali4niaND  (2024-01-30 18:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The Democratic party consists of radicals/absolutists, and pragmatists. Generally, the pragmatists are in control and win the day.

Biden needs the climate left to get re-elected. So, he has to bow in their general direction now and then to keep their enthusiastic support. Yes, politicians need to play politics to get elected.

My expectation is that Biden will appease the climate left with this pause and study. And that study will show that the world needs natural gas in plentiful supply in order to transition from dirtier fossil fuels to clean energy sources, and the pause will be lifted.

The article I linked indicated only a small number of projects will be impacted.

Your second from last paragraph would be the
by Raoul  (2024-01-31 09:03:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

preferred outcome, given where we are, and is probably as you suggest how the politics are being played by Biden.

It’s the logical answer
by ndsapper  (2024-01-30 18:37:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Think I agree with all and if this “And that study will show that the world needs natural gas in plentiful supply in order to transition from dirtier fossil fuels to clean energy sources” becomes a fact all sides are willing to accept, and base policy off, it might be worth it!