Outside of MBAs, are there any masters degrees that really
by Tex Francisco (2024-02-07 13:59:46)

In reply to: You forgot to mention the "You can get a degree in that"...  posted by Brahms

have significant ROI in terms of earnings or opportunities? Masters degrees in the liberal arts, fine arts, and social sciences all seem (on average) to be money losers. Masters degrees in things like public policy probably open some doors for people, but even then, I would think that's only true for the top schools. Masters degrees in engineering certainly can be helpful, but I still think it's case-by-case depending on career path. I'm struggling to think of many masters degrees that are, as a general rule, ROI positive.

I'd also argue that MBAs in general don't have much of an
by krudler  (2024-02-08 11:58:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

ROI anymore unless it's from one of the elite names. Almost a price of entry.

One obvious one is "Data Science"
by Brahms  (2024-02-07 14:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

....although those programs can be all over the map.

In my experience, some quant-related fields (Statistics, Biostatistics, GIS) can have a payoff. Quant social sciences (Econ, maybe legit sociology or poly sci) can, but largely because the person has advanced quant skills. The recent spates of tech layoffs may change that. Don't know about Comp Sci / Comp-E.

MPHs are all over the map -- an MPH in biostats probably has a payoff, an MPH in health communications, probably not. A place like DC is crawling with MPH, MPP, MPA jobs -- but also with a glut of these persons.

I will say that it seems increasingly jobs require an MA/MS. So, maybe in that sense a generic MA/MS kind of helps pays for itself. Maybe.

yeah, the non-MBA business masters in things like
by Tex Francisco  (2024-02-07 15:15:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

accountancy, business analytics, quant, etc. seem like they probably have a lot of value for certain people on certain paths.

I’ve noticed one thing in my area and that is teachers in
by The Holtz Room  (2024-02-07 14:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

the public school system here get an online masters and then get a significant pay bump merely based on having it.

And we’re talking barely accredited online schools.

I assume it’s in some contract language from way back that if you have a masters, you get $x more regardless of where it came from.

Most school systems require masters for administrators
by Irish_Texan  (2024-02-08 10:43:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

So if you want to move up into education administration, even just to be an elementary school principal, the masters opens up that career path and a significant pay bump, although still on the low end of things overall since its education

There is a real need for STEM teachers across the US.
by Brahms  (2024-02-07 14:34:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

So, what you say makes sense.

I’m taking about elementary school teachers.
by The Holtz Room  (2024-02-07 17:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

STEM in these parts is what you don’t want to find in your dimebag.