14th Amendment chess.
by IAND75 (2024-02-08 10:17:03)

I’m trying to think multiple steps ahead. I have seen little commentary on the ramifications of the Supreme Court ruling to allow Trump to be removed from the ballot.

The most common comments are that there are many other the states waiting to see how the Supreme Court rules before undertaking their own efforts to remove him from the ballot. But it makes a difference as to exactly which states those are.

If he is removed from the ballot in multiple states where he would be expected to lose by reliable large margins it doesn’t change the Electoral College calculus.

I have a difficult time imagining that the major swing states could successfully remove him, and certainly not the deep red states.

How would this play out over the next 9 months? Will there be a massive legal battle in all levels of the court system? Will it further harden and inflame the political divide in the country? Could it lead to violence?

Today is a momentous day in our constitutional system. Unfortunately it is just one of many to come. It feels like we are about to step into a great void, with the potential of serious ramifications that we only vaguely grasp.

Replies: