to me, the most devastating part
by DBCooper (2024-02-08 15:48:45)
Edited on 2024-02-08 15:52:14

In reply to: The Biden Classified Materials Report is Out.  posted by EricCartman

Later in the report, the special counsel said that the president's memory was "worse" during their interview with him, compared to his memory in recorded conversations from 2017.

He did not remember when he was vice president, forgetting on the first day of the interview when his term ended ('if it was 2013 — when did I stop being Vice President?'), and forgetting on the second day of the interview when his term began ('in 2009, am I still Vice President?')," the report said.

Biden also had difficulty remembering the timing of his son Beau's death, as well as a debate about Afghanistan.

"He did not remember, even within several years, when his son Beau died," the report said.

me: FWIW:

In a Monday letter to Hur and his deputy special counsel, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president, and Bob Bauer, Biden's personal counsel, refuted how the report characterized the president's memory.

"We do not believe that the report’s treatment of President Biden’s memory is accurate or appropriate," Sauber and Bauer wrote in the letter, which was also released on Thursday. "The report uses highly prejudicial language to describe a commonplace occurrence among witnesses: a lack of recall of years-old events."

https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-forgot-timing-vice-presidency-beau-death-special-counsel-report-2024-2

It's just a stuttering problem, and he is still a better
by Jeash  (2024-02-08 16:43:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

choice than Trump.

Biden cannot remember when he was VP or when Beau died?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-08 16:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

This is coming from a special counsel (and yet Biden's office is refuting the story - it figures). Biden also recently mixed up Macron with Mitterand (deader than a doornail), as well as mixing up Merkel with Kohl (long dead).

This is Alice in Wonderland stuff. Why are the Democrats whistling by the graveyard? Where are the editors of major newspapers on this topic? The ones who brought out the 25th Amendment discussion for the previous president have been quiet. If we are attacked tomorrow, we are in big trouble.

Here is the full excerpt:

In his interview with our office, Mr. Biden's memory was worse. He did not remember when he was vice president, forgetting on the first day of the interview when his term ended ("if it was 2013 - when did I stop being Vice President?"), and forgetting on the second day of the interview when his term began ("in 2009, am I still Vice President?"). 839 He did not remember, even within several years, when his son Beau died. 81rn And his memory appeared hazy when describing the Afghanistan debate that was once so important to him. Among other things, he mistakenly said he "had a real difference" of opinion with General Karl Eikenberry, when, in fact, Eikenberry was an ally whom Mr. Eiden cited approvingly in his Thanksgiving memo to President Obama.

Both political parties are about to nominate as their choice
by IAND75  (2024-02-08 16:28:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

for the leader of the free world a couple of guys who should be arguing politics and foreign affairs with their buddies down at the neighborhood Dunkin Donuts each morning.

Yep.
by Angel  (2024-02-08 16:31:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It doesn't make me popular amongst my people to say it, but he's a doddery old man. He should've declared he was a one term president early on and allowed a younger generation to rise.

Although I guess he's not a dictator. What a world!

I'm not confident that an open primary for the Democratic...
by Revue Party  (2024-02-08 19:00:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...nomination would've yielded anyone better than Biden, doddering and all. I don't agree that it would've just been handed to Harris. I'm not sure she'd have made it to South Carolina before dropping out. She showed no skill whatsoever during her 2020 run.

Maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

Yay, tyranny!

He's being held prisoner by his VP pick
by El Kabong  (2024-02-08 16:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He could declare he was a one-term President if Harris wasn't his VP.

not sure it's the sole factor, but it's definitely a factor
by Tex Francisco  (2024-02-09 09:29:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If Harris were more popular, then I think there'd be a lot more internal pressure on him to step aside.

Yes, he is being held prisoner. He could
by irishguard78  (2024-02-08 19:25:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Step aside and let the primary process proceed. Many fear that Harris would lose, but are Fearful of the backlash from the black community if they bypass Harris for someone else.

This makes no sense. If you want to say that he would resign
by wpkirish  (2024-02-08 17:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

if she wasnt the VP fine but there is no indication she would have been the front runner or even the likely winner of the primary. She did not even make it to the Iowa caucus in 2020. There have been no shortgae of complaints about politicians on both sides of the aisle staying way past their prime. 35% of the current US Senators are over the age of 70 with probably 1/3 of those over the age of 75.

The more logical explanation is like many other succesful people he thinks he can still do the job. Add in here the fact he likely hates Trump with a blinding passion and think he is the best candidate to beat him and it adds up to running again.

It makes perfect sense
by El Kabong  (2024-02-08 17:47:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Joe Biden may or may not defeat Donald Trump in November, it's kind of a toss-up at the moment.

He also may or may not defeat Haley in November, but it's a lot less likely.

Both of those Republicans, however, would defeat Kamala Harris easily. And if Joe Biden removes himself from the nominating process for whatever reason, Harris is the only choice, because if the Democrats push her to the side, you can kiss the black vote goodbye.

I was reading your post as a one term president to mean
by wpkirish  (2024-02-08 20:02:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He shouldn’t have run for re election. If you are saying he should drop
Out now perhaps but honestly the mechanisms for it are so difficult I do t even know how it would
Happen and it would be a bloodbath if a fight. It would not matter who the nominee turned out to be it would be a loss.

It’s not just successful people.
by IAND75  (2024-02-08 17:41:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

One of the difficult things dealing with people in early mental decline is that they do not have the in sight or are simply unwilling to acknowledge their diminished capacity.

Try telling your elderly parents they can’t drive anymore.

And the scary thing about this is how fast it can change. Having watched several sets of parents and acquaintances go through this, you can see how much they change in a matter of months when you look back in retrospect.

Cosign
by czeche  (2024-02-08 18:47:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The American marriage to the automobile as a proxy for one's identity does not help.

I don't see Biden's counsel's letter as "refuting"
by Barrister  (2024-02-08 16:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

the claims regarding the president's poor memory.

They may deny the claims, they may challenge the claims, but they do not appear to refute them in any way.

In my mind, to refute is to disprove. A denial is not a refutation.

Also, based on CNN's story about the report (I haven't read any of it beyond excerpts on CNN's website), the whole thing is kind of worrying, in terms of the willful retention of classified material, disclosure of that material (like to his ghostwriter), and apparent memory issues.

NBC said they refuted the *characterization* of the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-08 16:22:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

president's memory, writing it off to things of old age.

How they can write him off for forgetting when he was VP is incredible. We're talking about the current president of the United States of America. I couldn't do my job like that if I couldn't remember dates and names.