Yes, I think there is.
by BeijingIrish (2024-02-09 11:01:13)

In reply to: Is there a realistic way for the Democrats to move on from  posted by IAND75

And I think there are precedents, e.g., when the Republicans sent Sen. Goldwater to the WH to tell Nixon he was done. It was done quietly and without fanfare. They chose Goldwater to do it because he was courageous enough to do it and he had stature within the party (he was accompanied by minority leaders Hugh Scott and John Rhodes). Goldwater did not try to convince Nixon to resign. He simply and bluntly told him his support among Republicans in Congress had evaporated.

A similar thing did not happen in 1968 with LBJ. There, I think he was simply overtaken by events, namely Tet. It was rumored that Lady Bird whispered in his ear, maybe Dean Rusk whom the president trusted implicitly, but he made the decision himself, I think.

In any case, I think the Democrats could take a leaf out of the 1974 book--send a delegation led by a trusted, senior member of the Congressional delegation (someone like Chris Coons who enjoys a close personal relationship with Biden), don't demand or suggest he drop out, simply explain what a defeat in November would mean for him, the party, and the country. It's tricky. There is the old adage, "If you strike against the king, you must kill him".

Replies: