Fetterman won Pa after that debate
by Nyirish08 (2024-02-09 17:40:48)

In reply to: Counter Point: Republican Dreams of Replacing Joe Biden  posted by vermin05

As long as the candidate is named Trump, I can see the Democrats running Biden, not letting him off a script, and crossing one finger.
If his opponent was going to be moderate young and energetic, they would have jettisoned him already.
I envision Trump losing the election to a candidate named "not trump" but 7 points.

I'd admit I'm not particularly jazzed by much of anything
by ravenium  (2024-02-09 18:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think Biden's done fine enough as a fire tender as one can expect, absent a few stupid misfires.

He has the general candor and mental acuity of my father (who is about the same age). I don't particularly want my father to run for president of the rotary club, let alone the US, but I don't tend to agree with any of the analysis that pretend he's got one foot in the grave either.

All I really know for sure is that when I retire I'm going to go find a beach or something. I don't know what drives people to do this shit, let alone do it past 65-70.

I can only hope I live to see a post-Trump era with (at least) 2 healthy parties that may vie for a reasonable person's vote.

One nit
by czeche  (2024-02-10 08:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

(And i know you were joking/exaggerating about the beach)

Don't find a beach, that will greatly hasten mental and physical decline. The key is to find a sweet spot where you neither overdo nor underdo it, but folks need to challenge themselves physically and mentally nearly every day to avoid falling apart.

We've talked a lot on these pages about obesity in Americans which is a huge issue (pun, sigh) but the American belief on retirement is another huge contributor to the "decade of slow death" I see too many patients and family members go through.

my dad writes books and used to volunteer
by ravenium  (2024-02-10 12:44:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think that'd be pretty awesome - pour at a winery, teach tech to kids (though by then they'll have all lapped me).