I'm genuinely curious
by ndsapper (2024-02-11 15:21:57)

In reply to: Why isn’t the media reporting this re: Trump? (link)  posted by sprack

Do you think former Pres. Trump is being covered too positively or not enough? Do you think they are covering for him purposefully or with ill intent?

He is, as far as I can tell, the central figure in US media (rivaled only by Taylor Swift, maybe). Nearly every policy discussion is made relative to his position, his actions, or his reaction.

His coverage is overwhelmingly negative. Surely the most negative in presidential politics history. With less than 4% of reporters identifying as Republicans I'm not sure the idea he is being covered too positively makes sense.

I do not argue that his positions, his statements, should be reported clearly to the electorate. The special counsel report, followed by an ill-advised press conference, garnered significant attention, as it should.

Two thoughts
by wpkirish  (2024-02-11 18:25:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

First I think your assessment of the coverage ignores the change in right wing media. There is very little criticism of him on Fox and none at all on the outlets to the right of them.

Second, mush of the coverage is of the horse race variety and very little of policies they are proposing to enact and the likely resulting outcomes.

This exactly *
by sprack  (2024-02-12 10:39:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The two top headlines on CNN right now are about Trump's
by Barrister  (2024-02-12 10:07:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

proposed NATO "policy" of letting Russia do whatever it wants in Europe.

It's policy based, and highlights Trump's insanity. Not horse-race stuff.

I can't speak to what is being said on air on any of these channels, because I don't watch TV news.

Not exactly on point but I think instructive of the media's
by wpkirish  (2024-02-13 14:33:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

difficulty in covering the Congress and Campaigns.

I think most of us posting here woudl agree the Republicans killed the bipartisan border deal. To be more specific I would say House Republicans and then Senate Republicans joined in once they knew it was not going anywhere in the House. The WH and Senate Dems agreed to a bil Republican Senators described as better than what they hoped for and better than what they could get under Trump most glaringly no solution for dreamers.

Trump was not subtle in his efforts to kill the bill. Republicans did not hide the fact they were doing this at Trump's direction to benefit his campaign. So who does America blame?

Americans find there is blame to go around on Congress’ failure to pass legislation intended to decrease the number of illegal crossings at the U.S.-Mexico border—with about the same number blaming the Republicans in Congress (53%), the Democrats (51%) and Biden (49%). Fewer, 39%, blame Trump.

Obviously limited in what I can watch and read but I have
by wpkirish  (2024-02-12 10:19:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

seen a number of pieces on the topic will see if I can find one and post it.

I do think this one is so far outside the bounds of normalcy it is getting traction.

But I want to see reporters grilling every Republican
by IAND75  (2024-02-12 10:24:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Senator and Congressman on whether they agree with Trump. It is a simple yes or no question. And since the Republican platform is whatever Trump says, do they support this policy as a plank in their platform.

No one should be let off the hook.

So far I’ve only seen Rubio debasing himself trying to sidestep it.

Where does Lindsey Graham stand on this?