The Economist has been covering this relatively closely
by AquinasDomer (2024-02-13 21:22:03)

In reply to: I follow Radio Free Asia articles for news on SE Asia.  posted by G.K.Chesterton

It sounds like the rebels have been doing well and the government forces have been abandoning some areas. Recently it seems like they're going after areas the Junta has used to generate cash as a way to starve the military out.

You really need a hobby *
by ACross  (2024-02-13 22:30:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Reading is a hobby. *
by FL_Irish  (2024-02-14 06:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Surfing internet rabbit holes
by ACross  (2024-02-14 19:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Jack of all trades, master of bait.

I read the economist
by AquinasDomer  (2024-02-14 20:33:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Pretty closely and read a bit of the Atlantic, NYT, WSJ, etc. Myanmar has shown up quite a bit in the news since the Junta took over again. I've also taken care of Rohingya refugee kids, so it's a topic that I think is worth following.

I read a lot and was a quiz bowler back in the day. I know, ND shouldn't have taken in Nerd riff raff like me, back in the old days ND took people who knew to stay in their lane.

I'll consider that
by AquinasDomer  (2024-02-13 22:48:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Next time I go to read the news or develop an opinion on a non medical subject.

In fact, I'll let the Cadre know that as a simple doctor I can't write my battle analysis that's due this week. You see as a pediatrician it's neither medical nor about children. How could I possibly develop an informed opinion on the subject let alone write a paper outside my lane.

The horror.

You could booze it up
by czeche  (2024-02-13 23:24:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Drinking alcohol every day and investigating the "perfect" place to eat are probably much more meaningful hobbies and a better use of your time, right?

I drink every day?
by ACross  (2024-02-14 19:54:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Would that I could.

You know what?
by AquinasDomer  (2024-02-13 23:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

You're right. Reading and going to the gym have gotten in the way of my real passion, Japanese whiskey. I had found that booze made working out and reading difficult and cut back. But hot damn, I need to prioritize the finer things. I'm going to start holding onto a nice buzz and see where that takes me. Ash Wednesday seems like a good day to start!

Hopefully you keep us posted
by czeche  (2024-02-14 05:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

We all are eager to learn about all the various whiskeys and eateries you try.

Granted, we'll make allowance for some typos given the subject matter.