My impression is that the change
by ufl (2024-02-19 13:23:57)

In reply to: Won't be for this election, true  posted by sprack

will be modest in terms of becoming more favorable to Democrats. The scope of revision is limited by (a) the degree of "natural" gerrymandering due to Democrats being concnetrated in urban areas and (b) the court mandate which is (more or less) restricted to eliminating non-contiguous pieces of districts.

Not according to the analysis I saw, referenced in my post
by sprack  (2024-02-19 13:26:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It will get things pretty close to even, which is really where things should be in Wisconsin.

There will likely still be GOP majorities in both houses
by fontoknow  (2024-02-19 17:53:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But they will be slight and it will happen fair competition.

More competitive districts should help pull the GOP in Wisconsin back from the edge and should also result in less combative politics.

I hope you're right but I don't think so. *
by ufl  (2024-02-19 13:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Why not? (link)
by sprack  (2024-02-19 13:32:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Here's the analysis I saw. Forget that it's from the Daily Kos, it's pretty straightforward as it's simply breaking down the 2020 presidential vote in the new districts.

Isn't that a summary of the state legislative maps?
by ufl  (2024-02-19 13:34:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Maybe I'm misreading it.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to
by sprack  (2024-02-19 13:35:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I don't think the congressional maps have been presented yet.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

But if you look at what was done in Pennsylvania, they certainly can be redrawn similarly in Wisconsin.

I wasn't clear...I was referring to the likely congressional
by ufl  (2024-02-19 13:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

maps. I know a guy who's close to the process and I was passing along his impression of where it's going.

At this point you could also say
by AquinasDomer  (2024-02-19 15:10:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That Republicans have naturally gerrymandered themselves into rural areas.

It really comes down to how you move some lines in the inner suburbs of the cities there. But when I was a kid the legislature traded hands a lot and if anything the dem self gerrymandering in Milwaukee/Madison was worse.

For congressional elections it's nowhere near as. Big a deal as NY or Texas. You might flip one or two seats but the natural gerrymandering there is pretty strong.