Not related/related: Mike Gallagher is stepping down 04/19.
by G.K.Chesterton (2024-03-23 13:14:11)

In reply to: George Santos will no longer run as a Republican because  posted by ufl

He had already announced he was not re-running for his seat, but now he is stepping down in less than 30 days. That makes the GOP majority in the House very tenuous.

It may be wishing thinking on my part,
by Revue Party  (2024-03-23 15:13:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

but it seems like some cracks are forming.

Buck and Gallagher are just outright fucking the party. Johnson got a deal done with the help of 100 other Republicans, which sent that dipshit MTG into her usual stupidity.

The Biden impeachment hearings looked like a total clown show. I'm not sure the GOP can embarrass themselves more there.

Now that the RNC is Trump's personal piggy bank, I would have to assume that the down-ticket who aren't happy about that.

It would be nice to see this mess collapse under the weight of its own stupidity.

There is a gaping chasm between the GOP Members ...
by Barney68  (2024-03-23 16:19:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

who want to govern and the hard right group. Then there is the full-MAGA-Q set. Folks often lump the hard right with the full-MAGA-Q types, but there are differences.

Anyway, I've predicted from time to time that the GOP must either split into two parties, cast out the "let's do our jobs" folks, or cast out the MAGA crowd. Folks like Graham have realized that winning in the near term means finding a way to make nice-nice, but that's becoming less and less tenable.

My best guess these days is that the MAGAs will continue casting all but true believers overboard at the slightest sign of wanting to obey orders from someone other than Q ... I mean from Trump. That will shrink the GOP into a smaller and smaller group, one that cannot achieve power under any circumstances. It may happen as soon as this election.

Where do the cast-offs go? How many of the appeasement wing of the Party will be accepted by those who tried to do better?

And, once the GOP has turned itself into modern day Whigs, what will control the Democrats?

The moderates who fled to the democrats
by vermin05  (2024-03-23 16:54:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

This country is doomed to a two party system as one party dies the other will grow unwieldy and eventually have an unreconcilable difference with the other. Last time it was slavery, I suspect it will be how to handle our entitlement system and the boomer issue. Either way the Democratic Party will splinter and we will have two parties again. This is the way.

How many more GOP seats do the Dems need before
by Kali4niaND  (2024-03-23 13:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Speaker Jeffries takes the gavel?

With Gallagher and Buck leaving
by vermin05  (2024-03-23 13:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The GOP has a majority of one. All the more reason why MTG recent insurrection is extremely stupid.