The Mouse Blinked.
by EricCartman (2024-03-28 14:56:18)

This appears to be a win for RDS, since Disney essentially caved and RDS can now declare victory.

Disney backed down on Wednesday from a long-running legal battle with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over control of the Orlando-area land that is home to its most important resort, ending a yearslong feud and handing the governor a political victory.

The company’s truce with the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, the entity that oversees the resort’s land and infrastructure, gives DeSantis more power and influence over the company’s Florida operations. It also paves the way for Disney to expand its theme parks and resort properties in the state.

“Everything we’ve done has been in the best interest of the state of Florida,” DeSantis said Wednesday. “We’ve been vindicated on all those actions.”

Jeff Vahle, president of Walt Disney World, said he was pleased to end the litigation with the district, which is overseen by a board handpicked by the governor.

----------------------------

Under the terms of the settlement, Disney agreed to the nullification of a 30-year development plan that Disney rushed through the approval process a year ago in an attempt to circumvent the new DeSantis-backed board.

Disney must now follow an earlier, less expansive land-use plan that still allows the company to expand its operations by building new attractions and hotel properties.

Before the settlement, Disney had been wary of announcing the details of any large-scale development plans because of the legal fracas between the two parties, according to people familiar with the matter.

It’s not really a Desantis win if you consider the deal
by ratinatux  (2024-03-29 21:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Its pretty much a compromise to go back to the pre-kerfuffle state of play, commits the board to assisting disney in the use of mitigation credits, and disney is not dismissing, but rather just delaying briefing in its pending appeal while further negotiations continue on a whole new development agreement. In other words, Desantis agreed not to mess with Disney’s mitigation credits and to negotiate a new deal without requiring Disney to dismiss its federal suit.

I guess it depends upon how you define a win, but it seems like overall Disney does not have the benefit if the “new” pre-Desantis-board last minute deal, but is ahead of where it was when the whole kerfuffle started.

The Mouse has a brain...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-03-28 18:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

..."Litigation is a lot of negative enbergy"...so said a friend and attorney to me many years ago (RIP).

DeSantis started all this because he was displeased with Disney's speech on a topic where he disagreed with them. This in itself was a questionable act from the governor of the state, at least in my mind. Whether Disney's long-standing way of administratively dealing with stuff within the geographically defined district is another question on which I can't opine, because I don't know enough about it and don't wish to learn.

The outcome means that Disney can get this litigation out of the way, will be able to carry out its business plans, DeSantis can crow about a hollow "victory," and Disney retains its constitutional rights to express itself on matters of public interest.

Quality link *
by ACross  (2024-03-28 15:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

WSJ news articles aren't quality links anymore?
by manofdillon  (2024-03-30 16:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Their editorial board can be a bit out there. But is there a more reputable source for straight business news?

Cross objects to the WSJ because of the paywall.
by EricCartman  (2024-03-30 19:47:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Also, he is bad with finances.

I think the WSJ political coverage is shitty *
by ACross  (2024-04-01 17:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

How would you know? *
by EricCartman  (2024-04-02 14:15:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Seems pretty neutral to me
by ravenium  (2024-03-28 15:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Disney agreed to drop its lawsuits and they're going to negotiate a new, less restrictive agreement.

Disney was forced to declare that their agreements were
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-28 16:44:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

"null and void", so they basically were forced to admit their case didn't hold water.

I think they mean the agreements with RCID
by ravenium  (2024-03-28 17:11:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

"A trial was set to begin in June. But now, Disney holds that prior agreements are null and void and intends to negotiate a new deal that likely would be beneficial to Disney’s development plans in the area."

This sounds more like mutually beneficial hatchet burying. Of course the most optimal outcome for Disney would be "nothing ever happened" but this seems to make both parties satisfied. I don't know how you could see this as Disney eating crow.

I Am Not A Lawyer of course, it is known.

The whole thing was stupid
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2024-03-29 22:47:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Florida and Disney need one another... desperately. That said the prior CEO was a stupid woke moron and DeSantis is a MAGA culture warrior idiot... The people of Florida and Disney employees got stuck in the middle. I wish that both parties would regain their sanity.

Disney spending $30 billion on the parks (not all FL) is great for the state. That said South Park nailed it...

You are correct. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-28 17:30:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply