Today is National Bunsen Burner Day. I ask all Americans to
by The Holtz Room (2024-03-31 15:29:08)

In reply to: Are there synods within the community  posted by 88_92WSND

celebrate accordingly.

I always thought Cedric Bunsen was underrated as a Bear *
by krudler  (2024-04-01 11:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Bunsen burner story. In dental school we were learning to
by Irish72  (2024-03-31 15:37:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

wax up dentures. My lab partner HAD a rather impressive fro. Leaned a little too close to the bb and the fro went woosh and was gone.

I spent a summer during college working in a lab that did
by Barrister  (2024-04-01 09:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

research on plant DNA. I was basically a lab tech, collecting leaf samples from corn plants and doing phenol extractions of the DNA for the researchers to use.

I was reaching for a reagent bottle one day, not realizing someone else had left a burner on. The flame was so clean, and the sun coming through the windows made it almost impossible to see. I reached right through the flame and took all the hair off my forearm. Smelled horrible, but somehow I wasn't injured at all.

Bunsen honeydew story
by ravenium  (2024-03-31 22:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Meep meep meep.

Bunsen burner story #2
by DBCooper  (2024-03-31 20:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

In high school we were working on an experiment in chemistry and were using Bunsen burners and those small evaporating dishes that lie on top of the flame. We were sharing a crowded table with 2 other Bunsen burners and had to bring our dish to another table so that it could cool. My klutz of a lab partner was holding the dish with tongs and while transporting the dish with his two hands he moved the tongs to an angle so that the dish began to fall to the ground. Instinctively, I went to grab the hot dish and upon catching it with one hand was so engulfed by an immediate burning pain that I brought the dish shoulder high and in one motion angrily threw the dish to the floor like I was Roger Clemens having a roid rage. I believe a curse word or two was said. The dish easily broke into a thousand pieces instead of maybe breaking in half if dropped from the waste level height where my partner was carrying it.

Luckily preserving the evaporating dish was only a small part of my overall class grade.

... the ol' "Michael Jackson" *
by Moose84  (2024-03-31 16:27:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply