Political side of Gaza...
by Kbyrnes (2024-04-05 09:58:16)

...I've noticed a lot of coverage given to "no confidence" votes by supporters of the Palestinians who are decidedly anti-Bibi-style-Israel, and the analysis over what this could mean for support for Biden. We've seen a number of pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel protests in Chicago.

The plight of the Gazans should not come down to political calculus, but from many perspectives, that die has been cast.

I haven't seen much coverage about U.S. Jewish voter support for Biden, or support from non-Jewish voters who still strongly support Israel. I assume Biden's political people are all over this. For example--if Biden were to turn around, reject Israel, deny aid, etc., and become staunchly pro-Palestinian in all that that might entail regarding our Mideast policy; how would his national political support fare? It seems to me that he is in needle-threading mode, trying to assuage all sides, which might be a square-peg/round-hole mission.

All of my partners are Jewish.
by jfs86  (2024-04-05 12:43:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A clear split between Jews is whether they are more secular or more religious. It is not absolute. One of my more-secular partners is a Republican as are the more observant Jewish partners. Another secular partners is seriously reconsidering his Democratic
party registration. That is because he has he has family in Israel.

They have a joke they heard from friends/family in Israel. Biden is pursuing a two-state policy. Michigan and Minnesota.

The whole Michigan/Minnesota thing is so overblown
by sprack  (2024-04-05 15:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Minnesota especially - Muslims are 1% of the population and they’re mostly Somali.

Michigan is the only state where the Arab or Muslim population is significant enough to affect the election, but it’s only 3% in both cases, half the Arabs aren’t Muslim, half the Muslims aren’t Arab, and most of either aren’t Palestinian. And Trump is the guy who put in a Muslim travel ban.

I think you’re exactly right on the Jewish vote. Jewish Republicans will vote Republican and Jewish Democrats will vote Democrat.

Three percent of 10 million people is still a lot of people
by 88_92WSND  (2024-04-05 18:34:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Considering that Trump edged out Clinton by ~20,000, waving off the impact of any percentage of 300,000 simply sitting on their hands seems foolish.

Yes, but the point is they’re not some monolithic group
by sprack  (2024-04-05 19:03:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

As my ND roommate freshman year, who is a Christian Palestinian, told me, among Arabs, a Moroccan is as different from an Iraqi as a Greek is from a Norwegian. And I don’t think I have to tell people that Pakistanis, Somalis and Iranians aren’t Arabs.

Don’t assume they all think or vote in a bloc.

Yes, we all know about intersectionality
by 88_92WSND  (2024-04-07 10:44:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But Biden's support among all of those demographics (Muslim, Arab, Middle Eastern, Arab American, Arab identifying as Muslim, etc) has slipped, often significantly. In 2020, Biden had a clear call to anyone disaffected by Trump's rhetoric against Muslims/Islam. Today, that is not nearly as strong a factor. The trend makes it that much harder to swing undecided or disaffecteds.

Throw in the fact that Trump is already leading in Michigan in many polls.

Whether the dissent is a one vote (not voting for either) or a two vote (switch from Biden to Trump) swing, whether or not it's a 'bloc', it's a harmful trend for Biden.

The problem is compunded by the fact the decisoins he takes
by wpkirish  (2024-04-08 08:19:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

that anger the left and cost him support do not lead to moderate voters to reconsider their cupport of other candidates. Right now both sides are expecting complete alignment to receive their support which of course is impossible. We will see if that changes as the election gets closer and the choice becomes more clear.

Trump is also leading
by ACross  (2024-04-07 22:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

For your vote

Huh. Pretty sure I vote Haley in the primary
by 88_92WSND  (2024-04-08 01:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

For the record, I've voted Kasich, McMullin, Jorgesen, and Haley.

Interesting
by catripledomer  (2024-04-08 11:52:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I voted exactly the same way...

In general elections, you come home to your hero *
by ACross  (2024-04-08 09:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Your vision going there, bubble boy?
by 88_92WSND  (2024-04-08 22:18:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

McMullin was the 2016 general, Jorgensen was 2020 general.

Remember, I'm originally from NY -I saw Trump in his first sleeze to power run, back when he was a Democrat. (One of my Dad's clients lost quite a bit of money when Trump welched on a deal in relation to the New Jersey Generals. Back when Trump and Andrew Cuomo were just local fuck ups)

You need new material. *
by EricCartman  (2024-04-07 22:56:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

You need a new candidate *
by ACross  (2024-04-08 00:29:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I’ve still never voted for him. *
by EricCartman  (2024-04-08 08:04:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Looking forward tot he convention
by crazychester  (2024-04-05 12:28:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Heading into a tight election, need a united front.

“People are like, we want to confront some Zionists . . . we want to burn an Israeli flag, we want to take this protest to the next level.” As for the DNC, the group says it aims to “make bruises from Chicago police batons the 2024 back-to-school Fall fashion.”

While Michigan has most Arabs, Illinois has the highest
by Raoul  (2024-04-05 17:28:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

share of Muslims (about 3.7%) of any state. People don't always realize that.

And then people don't necessarily realize that Michigan Arabs/Middle Easterners are not all Muslims (Lebanese are probably the biggest single group and they have many Christians). And of course many Muslims are not Arabic (and often have sympathy with the Palestinian people).

There is a very vocal group of folks on the Palestine-Israel issue in Chicago. I expect if the war is ongoing then that will create significant protest activity.

Dearborn Muslims are also quite vocal
by wcnitz  (2024-04-08 14:47:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Their Death to America, Death to Israel chanting at the march today was very enlightening.

Very persuasive *
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-04-08 18:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

While there are a lot of Palestinians
by crazychester  (2024-04-06 09:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And other Muslims in the Chicago protests, The more animating element is DSA. 5 of the 50 alderman are DSA and CTU (which will protest the el being late).

Lot of young radicals in Chicago who buy into oppressed/oppressor worldview.

We will not be here during dnc
by airborneirish  (2024-04-05 13:57:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Of course school start overlaps with this stupid fucking conference. I expect things to get out of control again quickly and for police to just let it happen. Again.

CPS is pushing back to after DNC, right? *
by TJK1998  (2024-04-07 14:59:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

yes - our one private schooler is going to miss some days
by airborneirish  (2024-04-07 16:03:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

CPS does not start until after the conference. We will not be here until the 25th.