They're protesting at Intel?
by rflor (2024-04-15 16:16:11)

In reply to: This happened twice at PDX  posted by ravenium

Not sure I am seeing the connection there unless Intel is building a bunch of fabs in Israel?

It would be more logical to protest Checkpoint's and McAfee's US headquarters...

Near as I can tell
by ravenium  (2024-04-15 16:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A few of my friends received text alerts from their workplace safety group stating today might be a "disruption". If it's anything like last time, they had all of 3 people at the corporate drive entrance (RA1) that no employee enters (they all go into the parking garage 'round the back).

The thinking on this is somewhat scattered, but I think they're keying off Intel's financial announcement to expand Fab 28 this year and next. Take that fact plus a bunch of terminally online people with nothing better to do and you generally get this.

I tend to be pretty sympathetic to human suffering everywhere, but I detest that I am being pushed to pick a "side". Bleh.

Agree with your last line in particular. The "silence is
by krudler  (2024-04-15 16:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

violence" idea is very irritating, and usually comes from people who don't know (or refuse to learn) the nuance of a very complicated issue.

I can't help but wonder how much of social media
by ravenium  (2024-04-15 17:37:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

is Russian/Iranian/Chinese groups hoping to sow discord by producing useful idiots.

Teenage me is super pissed that he ever thought the Internet would be used to break repressive regimes, instead of being used as a grand tool to make everyone distrust everyone else and retreat into their corners with bespoke truth.

As small as NDN is, I'd like to think even the Irish among us wouldn't descend into fist fights and we could all discuss this stuff pretty well when locked into a room. I cannot say the same for the Internet at large.

I would bet a non-zero sum of money
by WilfordBrimley  (2024-04-15 17:51:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

that today's protests had some level of Iranian coordination and / or influence somewhere in the background.

What is...
by Revue Party  (2024-04-15 18:52:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...a bet I would not take.