Are covid masks just a signal of woke purity at this point ?
by crazychester (2024-04-16 10:53:56)

In reply to: Rough morning if you're trying to fly out of ORD  posted by rflor

I mean you're sitting outside in the middle of an interstate with your arms chained to your neighbors, are you really worried about covid ?

You're going to be arrested and they're going to take your mask off, so that makes no sense.

As a general proposition? No...(EDIT)...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-04-16 13:06:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...That's crazy, chester. The posts below are accurate, I think--some might wear them at public protests to mask their identity. Some might have physical conditions or perceptions that dispose them to wearing masks. There is also some documented (via polling) distrust of the government and/or vaccinations particularly among Blacks and Latinos that has led to less uptake of COVID vaccinations and more mask-wearing as there is still some perception of COVID risk.

My anecdotal observations: Our Jewel grocery store at York and Butterfield on the south side of Elmhurst, IL is patronized not only by residents of the pretty lily-white Elmhurst but also from the nearby Cook County suburbs of Hillside and Berkeley, which have higher ratios of Black residents, whom I see in that store regularly. I would say maybe 15% to 25% of the Black shoppers are wearing masks, while I virtually never see a paleface wearing one. It doesn't move me one way or the other.

EDIT: Further anecdotal observations; to airborneirish's point, I was the subject of attempted muggings twice when I lived in Hyde Park (Chicago) eons ago, and each time they were wearing knit caps pulled low. So I guess my conclusion would be--you; can't generalize about why someone would wear a mask.

"Hi-ho Silver---away!"

"attempted" muggins?
by mkovac  (2024-04-17 16:30:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That got my attention!

Please. Tell us what happened!

mk

So these people are all sick..?
by crazychester  (2024-04-16 16:57:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If I wanted to hide my identity I'd be using something other than a surgical mask.

I think is a symbol of one's ideological purity.

On the rare occasions I see someone wearing a mask I assume
by wpkirish  (2024-04-16 12:39:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

one of two things. First, I assume they have a medical issue that causes the person concern and they are wearing the mask out caution for their health. Second, I assume if that is not true they have some mentla conditoin that causes them to be so fearful of contracting COVID they wear the mask out of extreme caution.

In both cases I have sympathy for the person and am happy I do not suffer from either condition.

Ultimately it's none of my business, but I mostly agree
by ravenium  (2024-04-16 17:01:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I would say at this point if someone has a covid concern they should be rocking an N95, nothing less.

For some of the people wearing cloth masks, I despair that medical guidance has failed and become politicized and that people are stuck in 2020 guidance, but again, I cannot prove that and it's not my business.

There may absolutely be people who are actively sick, and Asian cultures have worn medical masks for quite a while. There are other respiratory diseases out there other than covid that may benefit from such masks on public transit.

As far as people at these protests, I am fairly sure they are an example of masks as both a political gesture and a means of disguise from authorities.

so a teen with a hoody on pulled down close to his eyes
by airborneirish  (2024-04-16 13:19:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

and a surgical mask you assume is sick or crazy? You don't assume you're about to get robbed? Interesting.

Given the context of the original comment asking if the
by wpkirish  (2024-04-16 15:34:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

wearing of masks is woke virute signaling, I answered what I think when I see someone wearing a mask.

As an example I was on campus Sunday night and yesterday and saw a number of people wearing masks and that was my thought.

But to highlight your astute power of observations my view would change when you switch the question from a general is it woke virtue singaling to a specific I see a teen in a hoodie pulled down to his eyes and a surgical mask. Crazy thought but yes I might have a different thought in different circumstances. But of course I cant really answer your hypothetical without more information. Is the teen 13 or 18? Is he or she alone or with a group? If there is a group are they also wearing a mask and hoodie pulled down or are can I see their faces? What time of day is it? Am I in my neighborhood or somewhere I am regulalry or somewhere I dont know? Am I near a school that just let out? What time of day is it?

What I find interesting is you apparent need to change the facts to something different to reinforce your view of how right you are and how wrong I am.

Have a good day.

I have no problem with individuals wearing masks
by crazychester  (2024-04-16 13:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It’s when I see pictures of 40 people standing shoulder to shoulder on the steps of some building and they’re all donning masks.

Surely not everyone has a condition so dire. Perhaps the social media angle carries weight though the need to hide one’s identity would seem to be needless if your icause is so just.

Or maybe they're trying to hide their faces from the cops *
by sprack  (2024-04-16 10:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Or media / social media *
by mjmcend  (2024-04-16 11:17:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Them too. Loads of January 6 defendants were caught that way
by sprack  (2024-04-16 12:44:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And that was actually during the height of the pandemic.