Honest question not trying to be an asshole
by wpkirish (2024-04-16 15:54:01)

In reply to: That's not far fetched. Here is a course at my kids HS:  posted by Dutch

Do you have an issue with a class like this being taught? If they took our the word inequity and said something like students will research and present on topics related to issues of concern in today's society would you feel differently about the class? What if they replaced inequity with an issue you care about and believe is important to

Last week in his social studies class my 9th grade son's teacher held his annual protest simulation. Slightly different format in that he asigns each student a character and gives them a list of issues people faced in 19th century England. The class then has to form coalitions and stage a rally outside to advocate for their beliefs.

I recognize that is different from the class you described and I would even say I would like the class better if it didnt soley focus on inequity. We often read and hear complaints that too many in our society lack basic civics knowledge. Protest and protesters have helped to drive some of the most important and consequentiual changes in our history and likely will continue to do so in the future. Is that something worthy of study in your view?

It's a fair question.
by Dutch  (2024-04-16 16:59:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

My son has not taken the class, I don't know who teaches it, nor do I know anything about the class other than the synopsis I provided in my post. Like a lot of things, I think the devil is in the details.

I would hope that the class does not focus solely on protest as the agent of societal change. Certainly protest can be an effective tool, but it's not the only one and I would hope a class would get into various methods and the pros and cons of each.

My bigger concern from the synopsis is that the focus on "inequity" and the provided examples, seem to be playing into the oppressor/oppressed [false] dichotomy that seems to be prevalent these days. If we were in the same town I'd buy you a beer to discuss in more detail why I don't think that's a useful approach to improving society.

Despite my political leanings I also would prefer the class
by wpkirish  (2024-04-17 08:18:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Didn’t focus solely on inequity. I don’t like the idea the class is only “open” to those who hold one point of view stopping discussion and the ability to both learn from differing views. I strongly believe hearing different views is how we best develop our views.

Also agree with you the class should focus on more than just protest as needed to effectively advocate for change.

Appreciate the response.