When did it go off the rails?
by AquinasDomer (2024-04-17 12:36:56)

In reply to: NPR has ruined its reputation  posted by mocopdx

I remember in residency (2015 to 2018) thinking it was reasonable, but haven't really listened since then.

When Tom Magliozzi died. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-17 14:25:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think it’s still great.
by kormal  (2024-04-17 13:48:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But, I only listen to Morning Edition so I don’t know about the other programs. Anyway, one of the anchors of Morning Edition had a response to Berliner’s piece that I thought was worthwhile so I’ve linked it below.

Inskeep commented on internal NPR goings-on without
by Barrister  (2024-04-17 14:53:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

prior permission of management, both in a public forum and in writing?

I am pretty sure that was what got Berliner his suspension.

I await Inskeep's sanction.

(I say this as someone who listens to both the national (SXM) and local NPR stations semi-regularly)

I’m confused.
by kormal  (2024-04-17 16:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Where are you getting that Inskeep didn’t have authorization? He’s been publishing that Substack for awhile now.

The bit about how he was spontaneously asked by
by Barrister  (2024-04-17 16:15:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

a panel moderator what he thought about the recent events - I'm guessing he didn't have advance permission to tell the audience his opinions on the Berliner piece.

And I didn't see any indication Inskeep had permission to air his complaints about Berliner on the Substack, but maybe he did have management's okay on that - he should have noted it if he did, given that was the purported basis for Berliner's suspension without pay.

NPRs pivot has been very successful
by shillelaghhugger  (2024-04-17 13:39:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

They appear to be a far larger organization than they were even 10 years ago, thanks to their pivot to the left, which I imagine has improved donations. My evidence is the size of their staff, which grows while most have not.

Here in AZ, we have quite a few journalists who have quit other outlets to work for the local NPR outlet. That can't be because they pay worse.

I listen to our local NPR quite a bit because they run different types of stories which I appreciate but mostly because I care more about how my political opponents think than the drivel on conservative talk radio.

It was careening when Trump finally toppled them over in'16 *
by crazychester  (2024-04-17 12:39:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That can be said for a lot of organizations
by El Kabong  (2024-04-17 12:49:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Not to mention people.

Yes, Trump broke a lot of people's brains
by mocopdx  (2024-04-17 12:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I would say NPR was trending in the wrong direction, but since Trumpism they've gone fully off the rails.

This isn't a defense of Trump- I hate the man. But, the direction much of the left took in response was immature and psychotic.

Indeed
by crazychester  (2024-04-17 16:30:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply