Well said.
by Barney68 (2023-12-31 13:19:01)

In reply to: I wasn’t just quarantining  posted by vermin05

I cannot imagine the horror you saw nor comprehend the level of courage you have to have faced it the way you did. I remember your daily posts describing the situation you faced. They were incredible and I salute you for what you did.

A granddaughter of mine was firmly in the anti-vax contingent. Firmly. Absolutely.

Then a cousin of hers, a young woman who had been like a sister growing up next door, caught the virus. It killed her and did it slowly enough to make the full horror of the situation clear to all three of my grandkids in that branch of the family. More than two years later, they still cannot talk about it without tears.

And all of them are fully vaxxed. They saw nothing of the horror that you did, but one much-loved patient was sufficient for them to learn the truth.

The day is coming when the anti-vax movement will combine with the home schoolers to produce a degraded herd immunity that will have terrible, and totally preventable, consequences.

Why drag home schooling into the conversation? We don't home
by Grace91  (2023-12-31 13:25:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

school our children, but painting everyone who does with a broad brush is neither warranted nor welcome.

According to the WaPo*, the home schooling movement ...
by Barney68  (2023-12-31 14:31:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

is part of the "Parental Rights" coalition that also includes the anti-vaccination requirements folks. Many of the home schoolers are anti-vax as well and the result is that they are an important part of the fight against vaccine requirements for school kids, especially the kids who are home schooled.

The article at the link has a bit about it. So does this article, albeit a minor part. There have been others as well.

https://wapo.st/3H5dTbf

*I get a lot of my information from the WaPo. It's definitely a bit to the left of center, but the reporting is really pretty good.

How about just defending your position, then, and not....
by Marine Domer  (2023-12-31 16:05:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

defend it by saying "according to WaPo" and citing an opinion piece. That some home schoolers are also anti-vaxxers means what? If you want to attack anti-vaxxers, so be it. But your post includes a cheap shot at home schoolers, who have every right in the world to raise their kids and teach them as they see fit, rather than as some fucked up powers that be want to indoctrinate them.

There are places where there are exceptional school environments and educators, and places where there are not.

I question the assertion that "home schoolers ...
by Barney68  (2024-01-01 09:39:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

have every right in the world to raise their kids as they see fit". Ok for the parents, but what about the kids?

The home school movement makes the parental rights argument an absolute. Thus a significant part of our school age children are being educated in an environment that rejects any form of regulation, be it for health, the credentials of the educators, or the curriculum studied. While I'm confident that many of these schooling efforts are doing a good job, I've also seen people with no teaching skills or language capability teaching kids Spanish in their home schooling efforts.

Thus, my concern is about "places where there are not." That includes rejecting some - many- all vaccinations for the kids. Is it the parent's right to put their kid at risk of the diseases that the industrialized world has managed to all but eliminate through vaccination? Note that it was through vaccination that smallpox was eliminated.

Whether you agree or not, there are very serious health and educational effectiveness issues in this. While the parents are making the decisions involved, it is the children who live with the results.

As to cheap shots, do you have any reference whatsoever that disputes my assertion that there is a significant overlap between the home school and anti-vaxx communities? It's fine to just blast away if you want, but an intellectual discussion here requires something beyond simply asserting that I'm either wrong or unfair.

Many != all or even most. You should leave them out of it.
by Grace91  (2023-12-31 14:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Including them simply reveals your inherent bias.

Be well, and have a nice day.

Bias it may well be. But about what?
by Barney68  (2023-12-31 15:56:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Is it bias about the home school community? Perhaps. If it is, it was developed as I watched family members home schooling their children. Is it bias about the anti-vax movement? If it is, it has developed as I've watched that group using everything from misinformation to outright lies to promote the idea that the diseases are better than the vaccines. Is it bias because I've concluded that the two movements include a lot of the same people, both from reporting that I can reference and from personal observation that I can't?

But on what do you base your assertion, or what I believe your assertion to be, that the home school community does not include a significant number of anti-vax believers? Or is it that the anti-vax community does not include a lot of home school believers?

I don't understand the basis for your assertion.

But this is of no matter. My best to you, and to all ndnation posters, for a wonderful New Year.

Homeschooling encompasses a broad range of types
by 88_92WSND  (2024-01-02 16:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

You have the ultra crunchy left and the zealous right and everything in between. The most vehement anti-vaxer I came across during our homeschooling time was a woman who was an anti-religious vegan meat is murder nutter. On the other hand, another family simply turned in the exemption form because they didn't care what the Board of Ed though their kids should get - their kids were fully vaccinated (except for one vaccine for a toddler aged disease that wasn't relevant to their teenage kids...).

I see your anecdotes and raise you mine.

Homeschooling itself isn't the issue
by AquinasDomer  (2023-12-31 18:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

There's a school of Christian thought that views public schooling/public sector rules as anathema to their morality.they also operate private schools. In a horse shoe fashion there's cross pollination with hippie wierdos on the left. This faction represents an opposition to general public health measures and childhood vaccination.

Concerns about homeschooling is more a symptom of that development. There are several good reasons to homeschooling, but a lot of homeschooling fall into that camp. By painting all homeschooling with that brush you're likely to push other people into the camp you're looking to avoid.

Forgive me for saying this, but you exhibit zealotry similar
by Grace91  (2023-12-31 17:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

to that of some ex-smokers. That is, to me you seem to be unwilling or incapable of seeing nuance or shades of grey in positions, particularly those with which you disagree. Not everyone who home schools their children has motivations that a reasonable person would find objectionable. If you want to assert that the Venn diagram of those two groups has significant overlap, please cite studies that bear out that conclusion.

It felt like a gratuitous shot out of the blue, which as I noted was neither warranted nor welcome. It was an inflammatory statement for no good reason.

While we disagree fairly strongly, I thank you for your well-wishes and I extend the same to you and your family. Have a happy and healthy New Year.

Don't drag us ex-smokers into it. Sheesh.
by Revue Party  (2023-12-31 20:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Talk about your gratuitous shot out of the blue.

Not everyone who is an ex-smoker gives a shit about people smoking. If you want to assert that Venn diagram...eh, never mind. I'm just fuckin' with ya. I really don't give a shit. I actually still like the smell of secondhand smoke.

Happy New Year.

My apologies. I was searching for a comparison and that is
by Grace91  (2023-12-31 20:39:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

what came to mind. I'll edit to add _some_ ex-smokers.

Have a Happy New Year as well!