Ok you tell 6 year olds
by DBCooper (2024-01-02 14:53:45)
Edited on 2024-01-02 15:36:30

In reply to: "Poor neighborhoods" is the factor.  posted by ewillND

To “suck it up” when it’s 25 degrees Fahrenheit all day. I assume you realize teachers shouldn’t talk that way to young children. (And maybe you don’t realize but the Atlantic Ocean helps make Europe warmer than eastern North America, at the same latitude). But I’m talking about NY, which I believe is about the same yearly temps as northern Germany. I will note, The snark of latitude comment is why I’m going to be sarcastic right back at you.

But back to my initial point, the only windows in the 150 year old school that open in my wife’s school are not right at the sitting level, and the city hired scientists who decided air in certain schools were not properly ventilating. There wasn’t a simple ventilation answer at the time for the winter.

But, I didn’t know it was so simple. I’ll let my wife know how easy it was. To just open windows and tell 6/7 year olds to suck it up and to just keep those masks on. No problems there either. And it wasn’t the teachers who said the ventilation sucked, it was experts brought it by the city.

I’m kind of surprised you would make these broad assumptions that there are simple counter measures that work in all environments, all situations, and with all students and teachers. Talk about being more political than scientific.

NYC was certainly not just moving old or comorbid teachers around to make it easier for them either. I’m guessing they don’t have enough of those type of admin jobs to easily take them away from the students. But that is more of a union thing than anything else. Conversation for another time.

Replies: