More political cowardice as we suck up to the ChiComs…..
by Marine Domer (2024-01-13 14:56:07)

Biden says of Taiwan “We do not support independence…”. How about staying silent and not making yourself look so stupid? What about strategic ambivalence? How long are we going to keep bending over for the criminal, scumbag Xi regime? Are we just their plaything now?

Biden is kind of not all there anyway
by Brahms  (2024-01-13 22:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He was a gag reel years ago. Greatest nation on earth, and this is what we have to offer -- DJT and Uncle Joe.

He's a stutterer !
by crazychester  (2024-01-14 19:36:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The well worn retort to anyone who pointed out that Biden might have lost his (always mediocre) fastball in 2020.

More likely his inability to think on his feet
by novadamer  (2024-01-13 19:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It was an offhand question shouted at him, I believe. All he could think of was the tagline his aides told him: "no independence." He should have welcomed another free and fair election by our close friends in Taipei, rubbing it in a little.

Is it cowardice?
by Revue Party  (2024-01-13 17:37:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Trump seems to have been the only president to support Taiwan independence and he only did it a week after inciting an insurrection to remain in power.

Didn't Reagan's 1982 Communique create the policy? Bush openly opposed it. (both from Google; no real knowledge).

I'd recently watched The West Wing about Taiwan and how presidents have to dance around Taiwan Independence.

I can see being disappointed in Biden but I don't see it as breaking any rational foreign policy precedent.

I'm sure others are smarter than I am about this but I see this more as Biden maintaining what had been a status quo.

Yes, he lives with fear of saying something that might…..
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-13 22:16:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

offend his buddy, Xi and cause them to “escalate.”.

That sounds reasonable.
by Revue Party  (2024-01-13 23:18:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Especially as it's been the position of every reasonable president we've had and the opposite position of the most unreasonable president we've had.

And since when did Xi become his buddy?

Maybe Xi is gonna grant the Bidens a bunch of trademarks. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-01-14 12:50:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

what was the actual full question and answer? *
by ravenium  (2024-01-13 16:27:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Can’t find anything beyond his being asked for his reaction.
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-13 16:44:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

to the elections.

Our strategy seems to be delaying confrontation
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-13 17:17:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Over Taiwan as long as possible. Given that China is entering a deflationary spiral and Xi is actively purging their military, it seems like the best strategy is to let China keep making its own mistakes.

Biden's also been the most explicit among modern presidents in stating that we'd intervene if China invaded. Why would he rock the boat any more?

How about this, and I know it’s crazy, but “No comment.”. *
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-13 17:43:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That would be a pretty big break
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-13 17:54:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

From our stance going back decades. Why exactly would we shift our policy right now? The Chinese are already escalated/paranoid about the DPP winning.

Here's George Bush 20 years ago.

"We oppose any unilateral decision to change, by either China or Taiwan, to change the status quo," he said.

"And the comments and actions made by the leader of Taiwan indicate that he may be willing to make decisions unilaterally to change the status quo -- which we oppose."

How in the world is “No comment” a pretty big break…
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-13 22:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

from our stance going back decades? Honestly, that’s ridiculous.

Which leader has answered
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-13 22:48:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

No comment? It'd a new response to the question.

Which question? He was asked about his thoughts….
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-13 23:20:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

on the Taiwan election, not “do you support independence for Taiwan?”

It's like he can't help himself *
by Milhouse  (2024-01-13 17:18:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply