I did Pre Cana as well
by AquinasDomer (2024-01-14 10:31:43)

In reply to: just to strike a moderation on both your statements  posted by ravenium

The biology lectures were interesting. Not in a good way.

The presenters also would make random remarks about being at war with the modern world/culture etc.

If they were hoping to convince anyone on the fence they weren't doing a good job.

You experienced, I imagine, a mindset widely prevalent
by sorin69  (2024-01-15 00:17:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

among some (many? I only have impressionistic evidence) zealous younger Catholics who imbibed JPII's efforts to repristinate church teaching on contraception and a whole menu of teaching on sexuality, marriage, and reproduction. As I understand its earlier 20th century roots, it began with a more "personalist" approach to marital sexuality first proposed by the German Catholic writer Dietrich von Hildebrand, who wanted to improve the biologistic connotations of the traditional doctrine that the primary end of marriage is children. A long zig-zag route entailed the so-called rhythm method and its refinement and repackaging as NFP, natural family planning, the branding and selling of which is often presented as part of a larger cultural critique of modern mechanistic and manipulative attitudes to what is natural. You can see how this might shade off in one direction to constructive thinking about the body and the natural world, and in another direction to just another ecclesiastical effort at command and control of women and sexuality.