Stefanik is a good example of the metaphorical pod person
by ravenium (2024-01-19 20:30:08)

In reply to: If that is the case is like 125th in line and no where near  posted by wpkirish

I say in jest, but watching the conversion from young rising star Republican in a competitive district to trump sycophant in a (safe-ish?) Red district.

I get the weaseling to stay in good graces, even if I'd rather retire than do such a thing. But the full throated embrace from someone who theoretically knows better? That's the worst, in my mind.

Her trajectory is disappointing.
by 88_92WSND  (2024-01-20 12:53:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

When she was first elected, she appeared to be someone who was conservative on what mattered, without being an absolutist on the 'culture war' topics - one of the few/early LGBT advocates (not just keep her mouth shut), criticized the pull from Paris, spoke out against the 'Muslim' travel ban. Nothing big, but it seemed like she was her own person. Willing to see benefit in some of the positions of her opponents, and to see fault in some of the positions of her side.

Then she went full "Trump" - not just go along/get along Trump, but "the difference between ass kissing and brown nosing is depth perception" Trump. Sucks.

These are the consequences for living in a bubble.
by TJK1998  (2024-01-20 15:10:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

She's surrounded by people telling her she's doing the right thing and, certainly, she's been rewarded for her behavior. So the feedback loop is telling her to keep it up.

She can't see what we see. Or perhaps that is giving her too much credit.

I think you're right
by 88_92WSND  (2024-01-20 15:20:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I've met her, briefly. Gave very much the impression of 'doing this for the game' vs 'doing this for the constituents/country'. And I don't think that's something you can dig out of -- because either your constituents yank you for changing course OR you get nailed for flip flopping. Once you're in the mud, the stains stick around.

She’s Albert Speer
by sprack  (2024-01-19 22:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

An opportunist who knows better.

Trump has buried the idea of Godwin’s Law. Anyone who objects to the Nazi comparisons can go take a hike as far as I’m concerned. It’s complete parallel.

Yes where the fan cult is concerned, no where the Leader
by sorin69  (2024-01-20 07:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

is concerned. On the former, anyone who has watched the fan cult at the Fuehrer's height gets a familiar creepy feeling seeing films of Trump rallies. They want the same red meat: vengeance against their perceived enemies. On the latter: yeah, Hitler was lazy too, but he had an ideology and a messianic mission to purge the world of racial threats to Aryan blood. Trump's messiahship is just narcissism writ large. For all the love of military hardware and pomp, he seems little interested in an actual war.