Field Hockey was one of our original women's sports.
by SavageDragon (2015-03-20 13:30:43)

In reply to: Field Hockey  posted by irpa

I would've guessed that a women's hockey program would've happened first (because of extant facilities), but those are both solid choices for athletic expansion for women (which is required if ND is ever going to add another men's sport, e.g. volleyball or wrestling).

There are field hockey facilities already too
by NDoggie78  (2015-03-21 16:24:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The lacrosse field is lined for the women's field hockey club too

Wrong kind of turf.
by vitadulcedospes  (2015-04-06 20:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The top flight field hockey programs all have the old school short astroturf.

Thought Arlotta was lined for field hockey
by NDoggie78  (2015-04-07 17:18:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that may just be for women's lax - longer field. Definitely another set of lines

That's women's lacrosse. *
by vitadulcedospes  (2015-04-12 21:55:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point. *
by SavageDragon  (2015-03-21 18:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was varsity status from 1978-1987.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2015-03-20 14:43:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still recall that someone named Winnie (Winifred) was on the team back in the day. It fit the prep school image to a T.

Winifred Fitzgerald
by shillelagh  (2015-03-20 16:10:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She now lives in Madagascar.

Here she is on a panel at Notre Dame several years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZeaJJxpIAw

She was a classmate of mine
by Son of Galway  (2015-03-20 19:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would not describe her as preppy. I thought she was a serious student and a serious person. I would not denigrate her with the word preppy.

Point granted. It was a shallow impression. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2015-03-22 02:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post