Congrats to new ND T&F All-American
by ClingII (2023-06-07 21:17:23)

John Keenan entered today's NCAA National Championship with the 17th ranked personal best among the 24 finalists in the Javelin (236 ft, 5 inches). On his first throw, he uncorked a 249-2, earning him an All-American 7th place finish. Way to step up with the bright lights on!

Olivia Markezich: National Champion!
by ClingII  (2023-06-10 21:39:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another brilliant race from Olivia in the Steeplechase, along with a 10 second PR. Bided her time behind the leader, sitting about 10-20 yards back until the last lap. Absolutely devastating last 400 meters to win going away!! Congrats!

She broke the UT Facility record by 2 seconds. Excellent! *
by Domerduck  (2023-06-10 23:05:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congrats also to Carter Sullivan, 7th place last night in 5k *
by Domerduck  (2023-06-10 17:39:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jadin O'Brien currently in 4th heptathlon after Friday
by NDoggie78  (2023-06-10 13:08:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3 events remaining

Alaina Brady currently 10th

ND women haven't scored yet but hopefully tonite with Jadin
by Domerduck  (2023-06-10 18:27:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Alaina leading the way. Starts Events ND has participants:
Long Jump (Heptathlon) — Alaina Brady & Jadin O’Brien
Javelin (Heptathlon) — Alaina Brady & Jadin O’Brien
High Jump (Final) — Madison Schmidt
3,000M Steeplechase (Final) — OLIVIA MARKEZICHT
800M (Heptathlon) — Alaina Brady & Jadin O’Brien
5,000M (Final) — Siona Chisholm

1 event remaining, Jadin in 8th
by NDoggie78  (2023-06-10 19:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like it’s not going to happen

She was 3rd in 800m so ended 7th overall, All American *
by Domerduck  (2023-06-10 23:01:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm proud to say I threw the javelin for ND T&F
by knutesteen  (2023-06-08 19:06:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm also willing to say that I was not very good, AT ALL, but I attribute that to my own physical limitations and having no throwing coach for the team. Still, it was a solid experience, I did score some points for the team, and am proud to say I was a teammate with Chuck Aragon, Jacques Eady and some other notable Irish track athletes.

Congratulations to John Keenan!

Ndnation is dangerous, a fencer and now a spearchucker
by SixShutouts66  (2023-06-08 19:27:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congrats. One of the scariest things I remember is seeing a kid laying on the track at Woodland Park (Seattle) with a javelin sticking out his leg. It must be hard for throwing event athletes to train wirth the rsiks to others.

Elija Godwin bronze medalist backed into javelin almost died
by NDoggie78  (2023-06-10 12:28:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN did a whole story on him - javelin was just centimeters from his aorta

At the Olympics he won a Bronze medal as part of the American Mixed 4 × 400 meters relay team

He has like the 4th or 5th best time in the 400 this year

Never saw anyone speared by a javelin
by knutesteen  (2023-06-10 13:59:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over junior high school, high school and college, as well as post-collegiate competitions. The most common incident would be someone from another sport coming by, asking if they could try and throw since they often were more athletic than I, and hit themselves in the back of the head with the javelin due to throuwing it like a ball versus through the point as required. It was a quick lesson that technique, in addition to athleticism, is required.

What is NCAA All-American - top 8? Top 10? I forgot. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-06-08 14:13:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Generally Top 8
by ClingII  (2023-06-08 15:45:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top 8 gets you First Team, 9th to 16th 2nd team, apparently, since 2011.

Additional details from Wikipedia: "Administered by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, the selection rules are that the top eight finishers in each individual event, as well as American competitors who finish outside the top eight in their event but are among the top eight of the American finishers in an event, earn All-America designation. Relays are judged strictly on a top-eight basis. The cutoff of eight places is the same for both indoor and outdoor competition. The student-athlete's team must be a member of the USTFCCCA.[15] Eligible students from all three NCAA divisions and the NAIA are chosen."