USA Track and Field Championships update from 7/6
by trout (2023-07-07 06:05:30)
Edited on 2023-07-07 08:22:12

Yesterday, 7/6, the USA Track and Field championships began. They are at Hayward Field in Eugene, OR. The event will determine which athletes qualify for the World Championships in Budapest later this summer. World Champions from the last championship automatically qualify. For example, Athing Mu, the current women’s champion in the 800 m is sitting out the 800 m at Eugene as she has already qualified.

Olivia Markezich finished 3rd in her 1st round heat of the steeplechase to make the final which is late Saturday night.

Yared Nuguse ran strong in his 1st round heat of the 1500 m winning in 3:35.37. Nuguse had the fastest time of all heats. Centrowitz was in the same heat as Nuguse finishing 6th and barely qualified for the final. He should probably thank Nuguse for setting a relatively fast pace. The final is also Saturday night. Nuguse is clearly a favorite to make the U.S. team, if not win the event outright on Saturday.

Jadin O’Brien currently sits in seventh place in the woman’s heptathlon.

The TV coverage is disappointing. NBC is the network with the rights to broadcast, but are only showing events on CNBC and Peacock. Some events are streamed by USATF.TV.

Thanks - I wasn't aware of the Irish representation.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-07-07 11:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the first time since 2006 that NBC isn't showing the competition over-the-air. They also frankly undersold the Peacock option because some initial stories only mentioned CNBC and the USATF site.

I think I remember you mentioned that Peacock was no longer
by trout  (2023-07-07 13:34:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being offered free to XFinity subscribers, which I am one. That is true.

I really don’t want to pay anymore to XFinity based on the ungodly amount I already pay.

But I may have to give in to watch T&F and some of the ND games.

If you can watch the 1500 m men’s final on Saturday night, that should be fun.