Some very interesting smoke on Calipari to Arkansas
by mocopdx (2024-04-07 22:15:00)
Edited on 2024-04-07 23:10:32

A couple local Arkansas beat guys in Little Rock seem sure that, barring last minute hang ups, Calipari will leave Kentucky for Arkansas. The connected people in Kentucky are saying they haven’t heard anything about this yet, but they also aren’t denying it.

If it turns out to be true, it would be one of the biggest “wtf?” coaching moves I can think of in all of sports.

Update: first big/legitimate national source(Matt Norlander) is reporting this now- “John Calipari and Arkansas have entered into serious talks about its head coaching position, sources told CBS Sports, and Kentucky has been notified on the talks. Calipari’s contract terms mandate he must inform Kentucky if he engages with another school about a job interview.”

I don't find it all that shocking..
by dwjm3  (2024-04-08 00:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is basically engineering an exit before getting fired. He was definitely going to be on the hotseat at Kentucky this coming season. We have seen coaches do it before.

Except
by mocopdx  (2024-04-08 00:36:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He reportedly fought for his job at Kentucky just a couple weeks ago. An odd turn of events.

It doesn't seem all that strange.
by John@Indy  (2024-04-08 08:56:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Arkansas job wasn't on the table when he fought for his job a couple of weeks ago. Arkansas isn't UK, but it's probably the second-best basketball job in the richest conference. It's one of the few SEC schools where fans and alumni view basketball as more than a diversion until spring football practice.

Also, Cal has a won a national championship so he doesn't really have any more boxes to check. I can see the appeal of a fresh start. That's not to say it will work for either the coach or the school.

Yeah these guys aren't complicated. They want their job
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-08 09:38:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

until they can get a job they want more. Calipari knew there was a chance next season could be very unpleasant for him at Kentucky so he found a place to start fresh that apparently was willing to make a very big financial commitment to trying to win. Him pushing to keep the Kentucky job a few weeks ago didn't mean he was content there, he just wanted to keep that option.

I think the school not wanting to pay him $33 million
by ndzippy  (2024-04-08 11:28:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for firing him also played a role in the announcement that he'd be back.

You have to believe UK is THRILLED with this outcome, as it saves them a ton of money and will bring the boosters that were turned off by Coach Cal back to the table.

Yeah it seems from what people were saying there was very
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-08 12:55:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

little chance Kentucky would have planned to bring him back if not for the large money owed. I'll be interested to see how far (if at all) Kentucky has to go down their wish list before getting someone to say yes. I'd be very surprised if Hurley or Jay Wright would take the job. I don't know if guys like Few or Drew or Oats would make the move. After that I'm not sure what the pecking order would be. Donovan, Pearl, Pitino, Otzenberger, Lloyd, Underwood- basically anyone with some accomplishments could possibly be in play.

Did not have that on my bingo card. *
by FtWorthIrish  (2024-04-07 23:34:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow. Walmart money at work? *
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-07 23:28:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jerry Jones is an alum and big booster
by SB Jimbo  (2024-04-08 08:04:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cal will have no shortage of NIL money

At first I read that as 'big boozer". My mind, alas,
by drmurray  (2024-04-08 10:25:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is in the gutter

And yet he refuses to spend money.............
by Ty Webb  (2024-04-08 09:52:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to improve his franchise.

Quite the offseason for the Cowboys.

Tyson Chicken. Costanza! *
by iudomer  (2024-04-07 23:39:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, his and John Tyson’s families are good long friends *
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-08 02:43:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keep us abreast of this *
by drmurray  (2024-04-08 10:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your taste in humor is im-peck-able *
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-08 10:31:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wonder if Cal will chicken out *
by Old Fogey  (2024-04-08 13:21:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now you're just winging it. *
by SavageDragon  (2024-04-08 13:41:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just thinking outside the boks *
by drmurray  (2024-04-08 14:14:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

WWL calls it too. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-07 23:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eddie Sutton in reverse? *
by otters92  (2024-04-07 23:17:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice call
by IrishinSF  (2024-04-10 05:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My tiny Catholic high school in Tulsa played and beat Sutton’s Tulsa Central team back in the mid-60s, before he moved up to the college level, so I always watched his career with interest.

Great article on Sutton, especially his career at Arkansas, linked below.