Is it me, or is Hurley kind of a bitch? *
by Marine Domer (2024-04-08 22:35:37)

This user did not provide content for this post

It’s not you. And he’s not colorful.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-09 19:40:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s a whiny little bitch.

The game could use a more crazy coaches back in the game.
by Queensman  (2024-04-09 09:22:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What made the game beautiful back in the 70's and 80's were the star players you learned to love or hate over 4 years and also the wide range of personalities in the coaching ranks. Even if I'm going to hate them, I'd love to see some big personalities on the sidelines. Some you loved, others you hated, but they were such a draw to the game. This list from the 80's could go on and on:

Knight
Digger
Thompson
Carnesecca
Crum
Boeheim
K
Valvano
Carlesimo
Calhoun
Cheyney
Frieder
Meyer
Smith
Maguire

Outside of Hurley and Buzz Williams, today's coaches have the personality of a pencil compared to that list. Most of the big personalities like Izzo and Calipari and Pitino are on last days of their career.

Don't forget Driesell *
by rick  (2024-04-09 17:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Left Hander *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-09 17:43:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not Bobby Hurley Crazy
by SECTION12  (2024-04-09 15:53:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all the Hurleys including senior have a bit of a screw loose and they are very vindictive. It is a really narcissitic family.

I know your list isn't exhaustive, but you have to include
by catripledomer  (2024-04-09 11:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jerry Tarkanian

Love him or hate him, he brought a lot of personality to the court.

I knew there were a few big ones I missed! Good add.
by Queensman  (2024-04-09 12:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I loved those teams in the late 80's, early 90's. Hell...the stuff the NCAA went after him for then wouldn't even get a sniff today.

That time even had some great ones at even not as well known schools. People like Don Haskins and Paul Westhead come to mind.

It’s not just you *
by sleestakND  (2024-04-09 08:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd take him in a second.
by 84david  (2024-04-09 08:30:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Uconn is much more talented than ND, but its not as if they have a roster full of 5*- burger-boy-one-and-dones (ahem Duke/Kentucky).

Hurley is an excellent coach and gets the most out of the talent he has. Not many more out there you can say that about.

He’s 2-3 years away from a Knight style meltdown.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 11:53:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s way too intense to have a Calhoun run in terms of longevity.

You're reaching *
by Jvan  (2024-04-09 00:19:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed *
by garbageplate  (2024-04-09 11:21:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep; I think he's awesome *
by ndzippy  (2024-04-09 08:03:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Purdue made 1 three all night. Great game plan by Hurley.
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 23:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Give up two point shots to Edey and take away the threes from everyone else.

I tend to blame Painter for a bad game plan on that point.
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-09 07:53:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least for failing to adjust in the second half. The first half was fine. But Purdue looked disinterested in three pointers long after they dropped down by 10 points. At some point it was abundantly clear that they needed to make up possessions by hitting outside shots, and they never looked like they were interested in doing so all game long. They just kept pounding Edey in the post late in the game when it was apparent that post scoring wasn't going to win the game. And all their sets were designed to prevent UConn from doubling the post to get a quick entry pass. Sure some of those were successful. But not at nearly a high enough rate to overcome a double digit deficit. Hey, UConn was a great team with better scoring balance. But Purdue has three guys shooting 40 percent or better from 3 point range with more than 3 attempts per game. As a fan hoping for a close game, I was disappointed they didn't make any adjustments to open up the floor. But if I were a Purdue fan I'd have been pretty upset that my coach didn't ditch a clearly failed strategy.

I'm not sure what he could really do.
by Leeroy_Jenkins  (2024-04-09 08:00:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UConn was clearly superior everywhere except at the 5. Any threes they would be sending up would be contested and they Purdue didn't have anyone who could make their own shot off the dribble. The UConn defense was impressive.

I, of course, agree that UConn plays excellent defense.
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-09 09:16:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I also think that UConn is a more complete team. I do not fault Painter for losing the game.

But Purdue attempts 20 3s a game and has the second best three-point percentage in the entire county (shooting an astounding .404 as a team), and they were playing a team that allows 18.7 attempts per game and yet they only managed to attempt 5 total in the first 38 minutes. That doesn't happen by accident, and it doesn't happen simply because they played a team that was 40th in the country in defensive 3-point percentage. You would have to be trying to avoid threes and/or hyperfocusing on interior baskets.

And that looked like exactly what I saw. I often saw players free up at the top of key on ball screens who had space to shoot. Without fail they sought to drive. Frequently they were stopped or were heavily contested in the middle of the lane, even late in the game. And virtually every set that I saw was designed to feed Edey in the post, including after they were down double digits.

Braden Smith is a .430 shooter with 3.3 attempts per game that had 2 attempts. Loyer is a .444 shooter on 3.6 attempts per game that had 1 attempt. Gills is a .468 shooter on 3.2 attempts per game that had one attempt. Colvin is a .414 shooter on 1.9 attempts per game that had two attempts. Jones is a .357 shooter on 5.7 attempts per game that had one attempts.

UConn is a very good team and a deserving champion. But Painter did not put his team into the best position for success in the second half.

You’re discounting the UConn gameplan. Purdue’s players and
by NJIrish04  (2024-04-10 21:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaches (and even the hometown press) all noted the stifling defense. They said it was the best they’d seen all year and noted the intensity of the perimeter defense. And Hurley said after the game that they were happy to give Edey the points so long as they limited the perimeter guys. Purdue hadn’t played a defensive team like that this year - not in the Big 10. They didn’t have the athletes on the perimeter to hang with them.

UConn’s defense was relentless. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-10 21:43:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he lack of doubles hurt their game plan.
by Leeroy_Jenkins  (2024-04-09 10:12:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The kickout passes from Edey for the open three shots just weren't there. It feels like Purdue expected UConn to double a lot more than they did. Once the ball was down low, UConn just kind of let Edey do his thing. Even with the big guys out of the game they were basically just daring Purdue to trade baskets. Not sure if it was coaching or UConn just being that much better on the perimeter.

Maybe better, but certainly taller.
by OITLinebacker  (2024-04-10 08:26:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really seemed like the length of UConn messed with the Purdue guards. The Purdue guards were marginally faster, but UConn made up for it by having a few inches and a much bigger wingspan.

Yup. And if you saw his father’s teams play over the years
by NJIrish04  (2024-04-09 01:38:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it’s clear where the defensive emphasis comes from. Danny is vocal and complains and you can call him names if you want, but my god it would be great if ND had a juggernaut like that. And I say that as a fan of Shrews and what he’s trying to build. Danny is a brilliant coach and will likely be joining his dad in Springfield.

Bob Sr’s influence
by KHADDAFI  (2024-04-09 06:07:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

… is profound. He is one of the greats. Danny learned from a master.

While their respective intensity levels are off the charts, they are good people to the core. In a society that seeks to hold people young people accountable during their formative years less and less by the day, they stand for a different set of values. They build a culture that breeds success and excellence with nearly everything they do. Last night’s game plan was brutal and simple. On D, let anyone try to beat them other than Edey. Ball pressure all night. Share the rock and push pace. It’s a simple game.

For what it’s worth, I ignore the histrionics on the sideline. The emotions of the game are powerful. When Danny crosses lines, refs should T him up. But none of that bothers me. He molds winners, just like his father.

As an aside, Bob Sr’s uncle was a priest at ND. The HOF-er loves the place. Sr. once told me that he used to take the family on an annual trek to ND for a home football game, even after he made his mental split with Digger.

Do you know why Digger didn’t recruit Bobby? *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-10 17:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That decision hastened …
by KHADDAFI  (2024-04-11 06:08:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

… the end of Digger’s coaching career at ND. I don’t know specifically. But Bobby wanted to play here. Phelp’s decision was made just as Bob Sr’s program began to hit stratospheric heights (26 state titles in 40 years, numerous great players).

Maybe Digger thought he knew better. Maybe he was lazy towards the end. But it would’ve been fun to see guys like Phonz and Monty Williams - and maybe a few others - run with Junior.

Hickster may know the story. He’s previously written about this tale on the board.

After not recruiting Bobby, his father cut off Digger and ND from the St Anthony pipeline.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a shame ND missed out on Bobby. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 13:01:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't it be both? *
by El Kabong  (2024-04-11 11:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Certainly *
by KHADDAFI  (2024-04-11 18:46:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's the deal with Bobby Jr? I had one person in the horss
by Jeash  (2024-04-09 12:25:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

business tell me that of all the sleazeballs in the horse business, Bobby Hurley was the sleaziest. There are some dirtbags in that industry. I like Dan Hurley because I think he can take it as well as he gives it. I think it would be fun to sit behind his bench and heckle him with backhanded compliments.

Here’s an article. (link)
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-09 14:00:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes sense, he stiffed a bunch of people on bills. Which
by Jeash  (2024-04-09 14:20:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

isn't that uncommon in the horse industry. You would be surprised that the number of people who can own millions of dollars worth of horses and can't afford to pay the feed bill.

IIRC, Bobby sunk most of NBA earnings into breeding
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-09 16:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and raising thoroughbreds. His farm went bankrupt in the time of the housing bubble. I think he got into coaching to get back on his feet financially. Raising horses seems like a pretty risky venture for a guy from Jersey City.

That's how Shawn Kemp lost most of his NBA money, too *
by BillShakespeare  (2024-04-10 11:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like very risky way to invest your money, especially
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-10 17:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you don’t have extensive background in the horse business.

I remember seeing something where Bobby lost a lot money
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-09 13:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

buying horses. I don’t remember the particulars.

Yup. Having seen at least 15-20 St. Anthony's games over
by NJIrish04  (2024-04-09 10:34:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the course of 20 years, the histrionics aren't a focus and while Bob Sr may not have been quite as animated as Dan, he wasn't far behind. Like you note, he should get T'd up when he crosses the line, but I think UConn fans today are fine with the histrionics after 2 straight titles.

Agree that they are good people and that accountability is key with them. My dad grew up in the Greeneville section of JC with senior and was a year or two ahead of him in high school and college. He still sees him every so often - more recently at wakes for mutual friends unfortunately. We rooted for Duke because of Bobby and that Hudson County connection, but after hearing him speak and reading The Miracle of St. Anthony's and the press attn when the school was in danger of closing and eventually did, it was remarkable to hear how many former players talked to how important he was in their life and how he saved them from the streets. But accountability was at the core of the culture he built.

Last time I saw him coach a game was when they had a national No.1 v No. 2 matchup with St. Pat's, who was coached by Kevin Boyle (now at Monteverde in FL), in 2011. Pat's probably had more talent (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was a senior, though St. A's had Kyle Anderson), but St. A's won the game and the mythical national title with its trademark defensive intensity.

What was the spat with Digger? Did he not recruit Bobby?

As to your last question
by chuck99  (2024-04-10 10:42:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yes, that is where it originated from.

Small world - my mom also grew up in Greenville (I was born there as well) and my dad was at SPC with him as well.

The Miracle of St. Anthony’s is a great book. I highly
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-09 17:05:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recommend it to anyone who enjoys high school basketball. Another good one is Where The Game Matters Most. It follows four different Indiana high schools in the last season of one class basketball in Indiana. Really interesting read. Link at bottom.

Was that the St Pat's - St A's game at FDU? *
by ND740305  (2024-04-09 12:53:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was at Rutgers. I linked to an article about the game
by NJIrish04  (2024-04-09 15:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were trying to move it to the Rock because it sold out a few days in advance, but ended up at Rutgers. Great game in a terrific environment for a high school game.

Calipari with less hair. F that guy *
by Barrister  (2024-04-08 23:33:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He already has 1 more title than him. He may not be the
by NJIrish04  (2024-04-09 01:44:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

salesman Cal is, but I think he’s a better coach and he’s 15 yrs younger than Cal. Ask Kentucky who they’d prefer to have as their head coach. Answer is obvious.

He’s a much better coach than Calipari. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 23:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is intense. One hell of a coach though. *
by Chicos bail bonds  (2024-04-08 22:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He, K, Donovan, Wooden & Ed Jucker of UC are only...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-08 23:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HC's ever to win 2 straight titles.

There are 3 more
by Cheg80  (2024-04-08 23:54:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Phil Woolpert with U of San Francisco (Bill Russell’s teams), Rupp and Hank Iba with Oklahoma State (or Oklahoma A&M as it was known at the time) did it as well.

Granted the tournament was much smaller then.

Excellent coach. UConn defense is relentless, and they run
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 22:51:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great off ball actions on offense. Really hard to guard.

Yep, but he should get T’d up for continually running….
by Marine Domer  (2024-04-08 22:49:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on to the Court, and then talking shit to the other team’s star. That’s low rent.

I don't have anything against him, but I completely agree.
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-09 07:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She should've been T'd up for going out to talk shit to another player. Refs shouldn't let that shit go.

Finally got a warning *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-08 23:21:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After he pushed his own player. WTF? *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 23:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he’s being saved by the refs knowing they are
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-08 22:53:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

protecting Edey. When he really freaked out early in the game it was after they ignored Edey going through the arms of the UConn guy.

Like most big men, it is really hard to ref Edey. I often s
by Chicos bail bonds  (2024-04-08 23:00:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Him get locked up with people and I can't tell who initiates the action. At times I think Edey has been coached well to lock the defenders arms and he gets a call. It's really hard to officiate.

No question when he leads with his elbow. *
by Dillon  (2024-04-08 23:25:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah. He clears out a lot when he turns to the basket. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 23:31:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve watched him a ton and you are right on both counts.
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-08 23:11:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is a nightmare to officiate because he displaced people without much contact and he doesn’t get displaced by contact that would move most others. I’ve seen countless coaches that have lost their minds after Edey has instigated the arms getting tangled and then getting the call, he’s definitely worked on that.

I’ve seen him sporadically; does he have a second gear?
by Cheg80  (2024-04-08 23:22:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everything just seems so plodding.

The only thing you don't see is that he has a good outside
by Jeash  (2024-04-08 23:37:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shot. I have watched him hit five threes in a row in warmups, with hands in his face. Painter tells him to not to take that shot, and he listens.

Interesting. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 23:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No. Most teams don’t have a Clingan so he’s usually able to
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-08 23:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

create more for his teammates because teams have to collapse on him.

I think what you see tonight is what you get. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 23:24:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Geez, he reminds me of a young K. *
by supernd  (2024-04-08 22:45:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t remember K being as demonstrative. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 22:56:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He bitches a lot. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 22:37:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s not you *
by drmurray  (2024-04-08 22:36:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post