I tend to blame Painter for a bad game plan on that point.
by tdiddy07 (2024-04-09 07:53:58)

In reply to: Purdue made 1 three all night. Great game plan by Hurley.  posted by irishhawk49

Or at least for failing to adjust in the second half. The first half was fine. But Purdue looked disinterested in three pointers long after they dropped down by 10 points. At some point it was abundantly clear that they needed to make up possessions by hitting outside shots, and they never looked like they were interested in doing so all game long. They just kept pounding Edey in the post late in the game when it was apparent that post scoring wasn't going to win the game. And all their sets were designed to prevent UConn from doubling the post to get a quick entry pass. Sure some of those were successful. But not at nearly a high enough rate to overcome a double digit deficit. Hey, UConn was a great team with better scoring balance. But Purdue has three guys shooting 40 percent or better from 3 point range with more than 3 attempts per game. As a fan hoping for a close game, I was disappointed they didn't make any adjustments to open up the floor. But if I were a Purdue fan I'd have been pretty upset that my coach didn't ditch a clearly failed strategy.

Replies: