Bellinger to Cubs 3yrs / $80M
by bizdomer09 (2024-02-25 09:09:22)
Edited on 2024-02-25 09:13:35

After much bluster and media posturing from both sides, I’m glad the Cubs held the line. Also glad to have Belli solidifying the lineup.

Edit to add: I see now that Bellinger has opt-outs after each year, so that shifts the balance. But I do think it’s fair for Boras to want to protect the upside if Bellinger goes out and proves it again.

They can now print World Series tickets
by sprack  (2024-02-26 11:20:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With all the angst and drama over the guy, it was like they were negotiating with Babe Ruth, instead of a guy who two years ago barely avoided hitting above the Mendoza line for the second year in a row.

When Bellinger is good, he's very good, but when he's bad, he's horrid.

As DomerJon says below, it was very wise of the Cubs to keep it to three years.

I get it... yeah there was a lot of hullabaloo
by bizdomer09  (2024-02-26 14:13:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All of that over a guy who projects as a likely 3-3.5 WAR player (or a "solid starter" if you will, I know you're a WAR skeptic). Based on some statgeeky batted ball metrics from last year and past performance as you point out, it's reasonable to expect that he'll regress from last year. But he adds some legitimacy to the lineup, and given that he's morphed into a solid contact guy he can help stabilize it. Hopefully his presence in the lineup can lift Suzuki and others a bit. Plus with Bellinger the Cubs can be more patient with some young guys who probably need more time (i.e. Pete Crow-Armstrong, who was rushed and overmatched in his call-up last year).

He's no Babe Ruth but there just hasn't been much to talk about this off-season after the Dodgers signings. And Bellinger's status has been a point of uncertainty with the team going into next season. So now that's resolved so we can look ahead. The Cubs are in a division where going from 82 to 85 wins can make all the difference so maybe Bellinger can give that nudge.

I would guess Bellinger falls back a bit with his Avg this
by DomerJon  (2024-02-26 21:59:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

year. But remember he did miss a month with the knee injury and still had solid power numbers. If he hits .275-.285 with 30 HR and 100-110 RBI I will call it a good season and a good deal. I don't buy the WAR numbers either, I am old school like Sprack on that one.

As far as PCA, he was a September call up that had 14 ab's and a very small sample. He probably can use another season in the minors but has shown some good power and is an elite fielder with speed to burn. He will be a very good player for years to come.

Re PCA
by bizdomer09  (2024-02-26 22:24:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not the results on those 14 ABs. Yes, that is an absurdly small sample. It's more the fact that he just looked like he was flailing at the plate. Some of those ABs were just ugly.

But... I believe Michael Jack Schmidt and Anthony Rizzo also looked overmatched in their initial call-ups, which were much longer than PCA's. And Seiya Suzuki flailed badly at the plate for a good month+ last season before he stepped up as one of the top hitters in mlb over the last couple of months. So I'm not reading too much into it, except that I'd like to see PCA get the seasoning he needs and come back up when he's ready, not because Tauchman starts struggling again and they're desperate. Bellinger gives cushion for that.

I like the deal. I don't like these 10 year deals many guys
by DomerJon  (2024-02-26 10:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have been getting. if you get good production for 5 of those years, you are doing well.

Not a huge fan of the 2 opt outs either. I can see one after the 1st year, but if you have an okay 24 and decide you better stay, then that should be the only opt out in my opinion.

You’ll like it less if he craps the bed and doesn’t opt out.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-04 12:14:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not sure why the Cubs felt the need for the 3 year deal since they were basically his market.

Lets face it, the opt outs are for him if and only if he
by DomerJon  (2024-03-09 11:07:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has another solid year. He hits 225, 16 hr and 65 rbi, he isn't opting out to make half that salary.