There's not much downside to drafting QB these days
by Lefty 04 (2024-04-25 10:47:12)

In reply to: The Bears are about to commit a huge blunder.  posted by BeijingIrish

Even if he busts, moving on from a QB after 2-3 years doesn't really set a team back anymore thanks to the locked in rookie contract payscale. These aren't the days of the huge guaranteed Matt Stafford deals before they play a game.

And the upside from having a top 10 QB on a rookie contract is immense.

I'm not a Bears fan at all. But dumping Fields to take another spin on the QB roulette wheel is a no-brainer.

Falcons are trying to prove you wrong. *
by NDBass  (2024-04-25 22:02:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or maybe they're just taking it to the extreme
by Lefty 04  (2024-04-25 22:28:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The upside of possibly finding a top-10 QB on a rookie contract is so great, that you take one in the same offseason that you give an old veteran $100 mil guaranteed!

I kid, I kid. The Falcons are insane.

Couldn't believe it
by IrishintheD  (2024-04-25 16:10:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was going to say that Stafford got a wage scale deal because Sam Bradford was the last QB to get a huge deal for being pick #1.
Stafford was drafted the year before Bradford. It seems like that was eons ago.

Sure
by HTownND  (2024-04-25 12:26:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

trading back to let someone else spin the wheel is an even bigger no brainer.

But the Bears are being bullied into making this pick.