MLB Season
by IndianaLee (2024-04-25 17:28:22)

As we are approximately 25 games in (24 for some, 26 for others), has the season met your expectations? Team(s) or players that have surprised you (in terms of better or worse)? Best/worst/most competitive division? Dodgers vs. Yankees in the World Series? Trades you think may or will happen? Dodgers taking on more payroll? Etc.

Obviously it's SUPER early, but a good topic to chew on well before the dog days of summer. Forecasts and prognostications probably haven't changed for most folks, but would love to hear how results have colored perspectives out of the gate.

I thought the White Sox would be bad
by Kayo  (2024-04-25 21:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I am astounded at how bad they are. Eight shutout losses. 3-21 record.

They are an insult to the sport.

They are absolutely atrocious
by El Kabong  (2024-04-26 11:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And thanks to the anti-tanking rules, will get absolutely zero relief in the draft.

There has to be a circumstance where MLB can demand an ownership change. At the very least, I would think Jerry's co-investors must be out of their minds as to how much money he's costing them.

Getz would just pick the wrong guy anyway
by sprack  (2024-04-26 15:45:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The worst part of that is they weren’t even trying to tank. It’s due to unadulterated incompetence.

I long assumed that 1970 would be the worst Sox team I...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-26 17:07:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would ever see. Up until the 2007 season, I assumed that the 1956 ND team (2 years before I was born) would remain the worst team in program history.

The '70 team had Aparicio as its ASG rep (a starter), Tommy John, Bill Melton hitting 33 HR (franchise record at time), and W. Wood in the pen as it lost 106 games. Others can try to compare this roster to that one.

But not so fast, my friend! They just swept the Rays
by sprack  (2024-04-28 17:43:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’re going to the World Series!

Well OK, even after the sweep, at this pace they’ll be 35-127.

I just looked up that 1970 team. Beyond John and Wood, the pitching was terrible, and even with them the staff ERA was the worst in baseball, and that included four teams that were only in their second years of existence. But this year’s team is last in both pitching and hitting.

Nice stat from Jim Passon.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2024-04-26 09:13:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

@PassonJim

Teams with a losing streak of 5+ games this season:

Angels
Diamondbacks
Marlins
Mets
Pirates
Rockies
Twins
White Sox (3x)

Actually, they're 3-22--Fish at 6-20 look decent by...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-25 22:22:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comparison. Sox have come by record honestly--their -85 run differential is 29 runs worse than anyone else's.

They look really appealing to Nashville now.

I always assumed that 1968-70 would be the worst I would ever see from this franchise.