I think Georgetown has more work to do.
by irishbantam (2018-05-01 16:35:32)

In reply to: Conference tourney info for other conference tourneys  posted by tf86

They lost to some good teams but they have no big wins. They got hosed with their first round match-up as they've already beaten 'Nova. 'Nova beat Yale, which was a huge win.

The Committee loves top-5 wins. I think Georgetown has to win out. If Villanova wins, they're in.

Let me posit this scenario
by tf86  (2018-05-03 13:57:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Georgetown beats Villanova, but loses to Denver in Big East final. Rutgers and Ohio State both lose in first round of Big Ten tournament. Albany wins America East tournament. Yale and Cornell both win first-round Ivy League matchups.

I think Georgetown is in if that happens (yes, Georgetown has to receive help, but in this scenario the help they need isn't terribly crazy). What say you?

Cornell would have to lose to Brown
by irishbantam  (2018-05-04 16:04:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everything that would have to happen, did happen. Bucknell, Navy, OSU, and Marquette all lost in the first rounds of their conference tourney.

From ND's perspective, those losses are good as well. we might have a softer first round match-up. I foresee Rutgers, Penn State, or OSU getting in over G'Town. I think all 3 would be tough first round games.

In my scenario, I had Cornell in the field
by tf86  (2018-05-05 01:06:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Six at large bids to four teams in the ACC tourney, plus Hopkins-Maryland loser and Yale-Cornell loser. That still leaves two more.

Assuming Albany and Denver win tomorrow, I think those final two at-large bids may be close to call. Georgetown, Ohio State and Rutgers would appear to be the leading candidates, although the Committee may also consider Villanova, Penn (although I think the blowout loss to Yale might have hurt them), Bucknell or Navy as well. A lot of teams will be sweating Selection Sunday.