Growing the sport in NCAA D1
by jrdjr84 (2019-03-13 18:27:07)

With Utah's pretty smooth transition from MCLA to D1, I took a look at the current MCLA top 20. What stands out: it's high time the PAC 12 plays NCAA D1 lacrosse. If teams in the current too 20 followed Utah and made the jump, you'd get Cal, Arizona State, Colorado, Stanford, Arizona and USC. All those programs belong in NCAA D1. Wouldn't it make the game that much more interesting? It certainly would make it more national....

Every other consideration is secondary to Title IX.
by hoomanbeing  (2019-03-14 21:52:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you don't have good Title IX numbers, the money situation is immaterial. A goodly number of the Pac-12 schools have WLax. It's used to get their Title IX numbers up. It is very difficult to add MLax if you already have a WLax team. I'm sure that if the Title IX numbers were there, USC and Stanford could readily afford to have varsity D-1 MLax teams.

Correct Title IX is the big impediment
by Steelhop  (2019-03-15 14:16:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for any school to start a DI lax team. I think Utah had very even Title IX numbers but also had a big donor step up(I'm thinking the former CEO of Jet Blue).

Further, over the last 30 or so years more P5 programs have dropped mens (BC, NCSt and MSU) than have added it (UM and Utah).

It is good to see UM and Utah add programs but still a good start.

Tougher to get $ for some programs like CU.
by RagingBull  (2019-03-13 20:53:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you will see less of the Utah model and more of the Marquette/High Point/Cleveland State model. Teams without big-time D1 football programs will look to lacrosse as a way to get on the map of high school kids.

If you are CU, how do you chase a quality football coach while trying to fund a lacrosse program that would no doubt succeed very quickly but on which you will lose $.

I think USC and Stanford are possible. Texas, and Florida State are realistic options because of the strength of their athletic budgets.

Florida State doesn't have the Title IX room.
by hoomanbeing  (2019-03-14 21:57:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're supposed to have a Sugar Daddy who has already put up the money to fund both lacrosse teams if they can get their Title IX numbers to work.