Another problem Lacrosse doesn't want to face
by flanner96 (2022-05-10 14:22:17)

I love the sport. Love it. Have for 40 years. Tried to get my high school to start a team because every one around us did. (Decades later they got one. Go Westhill Vikings!)

For all the talk about expanding the sport from the powers that be, they really don't walk the walk. The geography of this tournament field is a serious backward slide.

Of the 18 teams in the field, 14 are within an hour's drive of I-95. Two others are within about 200 miles. Only 1 is west of Pennsylvania. Obviously that would have changed if Utah beat Robert Morris.

Sure, Quint and Carc will probably get on the broadcasts and talk about how the sport is flourishing and that high schools all over are sending players to programs now. But that only goes so far. Why would any school want to add the sport when they see that it's still a small club that only the privileged few are allowed into?

Really nothing says "lacrosse is an elitist sport that no real person cares about" quite like including 6 Ivy league schools in your tournament and not giving anyone west of the Volvo Belt a tournament bid.

Replies: