Lacrosse Coaches
by Domer65 (2022-05-22 15:25:17)

If we could have any lacrosse coach, I would want John Tillman. That would never happen but I think he is the best lacrosse coach in the sport today. Coaching does have a big impact and this can be evidenced by watching Maryland. He also recruits well.

I'm biased because I work at RIT...
by flanner96  (2022-05-23 09:26:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but Jake Coon is a pretty remarkable coach and I'm surprised his name doesn't get mentioned for more DI jobs. (I know he and his family like Rochester a lot). He's won more than 90% of his games in 13 years and the Tigers are playing for their second straight D3 title on Sundy.

Man, They Just Crushed Tufts...
by dillon77  (2022-05-24 05:43:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and Tufts has had experience of head coaches going directly to D1 (see Brown's Mike Daly)

I don't think anyone expected RIT +15 in the 4Q
by flanner96  (2022-05-24 13:50:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that offense is pretty to watch though. The D was super aggressive too.

Any chance they would consider a move to Division 1?
by tf86  (2022-05-26 14:57:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It certainly wouldn't be unprecedented. Johns Hopkins and Hobart both play lacrosse at the D1 level even though most of their sports are D3. IIRC, back in the day the NCAA forced Hobart to move up because they were too dominant at the D3 level. Bellarmine also played D1 lacrosse for a number of years while the rest of their athletic department was at D2, although they've since begun the transition to D1. And RIT's men's hockey program already is D1.

More D1 men's lacrosse in upstate NY would not be a bad thing (fwiw, LeMoyne already is exploring a possible move to D1)

They can't as a stand alone program...
by flanner96  (2022-05-28 19:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...because RIT is already D1 for men's and women's hockey and has the waiver for that. It's go all the way DI or stay DIII at the moment. I don't think ou can ask for an additional waiver.

Interestingly both schools in the DIII title game are DI for hockey and have been to Frozen Fours (Union winning the title).

If That's the Case, Watch out for St. Lawrence...
by dillon77  (2022-06-08 12:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

another D3 school that plays up in hockey. They had a solid tourney this year, making it to the third round (beating Cortland and losing to Bowdoin).

Didn't realize you are in Rochester.
by JTAD31  (2022-05-23 12:56:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My neighbor is an RIT assistant coach. My son plays lax with his son.

Awesome! Small world!
by flanner96  (2022-05-23 19:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go Tigers!

Tillman's At the Top of His Game
by dillon77  (2022-05-23 08:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whole is better than the sum of the parts ... and the parts are pretty freaking good ... and that's what you want to see on the field.

Excellent temperment. Like you said, he recruits well: both high schoolers and transfers. However, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Cornell has become something of a cradle of coaches. Connor Buczek (Class of 20215!) is awfully young, but Cornell looks pretty collected. They ripped Ohio State after the weather delay and held off Ben DeLuca yesterday (another formal Cornell coach, if memory serves).

I wonder if Chris Wojcik, ND's current offensive coordinator, has any interest in the Providence job, given his New England background. If he does take that (or some other HC position), would Corrigan bump up Ryder Garnsey? A strange couple that looks increasingly fine with one another.