LeMoyne moving to Division 1
by tf86 (2023-06-05 09:31:00)

Somewhat old news, but it came during the NCAA tournament, and I wanted to wait a week after the national championship to post anything not directly related to ND lacrosse. LeMoyne will join the NEC, continuing a pipeline of sorts between the D2 Northeast 10 Conference and the D1 NEC. Since 2020, Merrimack, Stonehill, and now LeMoyne have moved from the Northeast 10 to the NEC. LeMoyne has both a men's and women's lacrosse team, and the men's team is a national power at the D2 level.

Trying to read the tea leaves, I'm thinking that the NEC will reinstate men's lacrosse, likely sooner rather than later and perhaps as early as the season after next. At that point, the NEC will have five member schools that play men's lacrosse -- LeMoyne, Long Island, Merrimack, Sacred Heart and Wagner. By that time, Merrimack will have completed its transition to Division 1, so only LeMoyne will still be in transition. Further, the three NEC members that presently compete in men's lacrosse as MAAC affiliate members -- LIU, Sacred Heart and Wagner -- signed only a two-year deal with the MAAC, which expires after next season. I think they take VMI, also currently a MAAC affiliate member, with them and set up shop.