Perhaps the better question is why here?
by usmcirish (2018-02-14 17:33:18)

In reply to: There's probably not one answer.  posted by LondonDomer

I agree with everything you said. But again, what the heck is wrong with our country with this recent violence?

These things not only did not happen 30+ years ago, (guns were equally prevalent) but they don't happen in other parts of the world where there are a number of guns.

I am thinking of Israel and Switzerland in particular. Having been to both countries, and knowing and seeing the universal ownership of military grade weapons due to universal military reserve service, I wonder why the Swiss and Israeli's are not suffering from an epidemic of shootings due to the availability of guns.

Something has really caused our society to spin off the rails and the availability of weapons is certainly making it worse.

I think there are a lot of issues, but the gun culture
by LondonDomer  (2018-02-14 17:36:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in America is like nothing else in the world. You would never see a Swiss driver with a "You'll Pry my Glock Out of My Cold Dead Hands" window sticker, or a Israeli wearing a "Protected by UZI" t-shirt.

'gun culture'
by wcnitz  (2018-02-14 21:22:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sound bite. What is it? Don't lump in open carry jackasses who put scopes on shotguns with typical gun owners. Typical gun owners don't act like that, don't talk like that, don't think like that.

I'm surrounded by people who own guns. More than half the homes in my neighborhood have them. Maybe more - I don't know if more do, they don't talk about it. More than 2/3 of the boats on my dock in my marina have guns on them when the owners are on board. They all have CPLs. It isn't a big deal. Nobody thinks it's even remotely an issue.

We don't have stickers on our truuuucks, we don't brag about our guns, it isn't ever a primary focus of conversation.

What you're referring to, as nebulous as it is, has nothing to do with this demented idiot who killed a lot of people today. His (apparent) behavior prior to this screamed out for attention, and he got little. Everyone around him failed. His guns, and actions with them, were a symptom.

edit: and to be clear, as I've said many times on the PB - I don't think we need high capacity magazines, bump stocks, etc. and have no problem with extended waiting periods. Zero issues whatsoever. I don't support the NRA because, other than their education programs for safety, they muddle and derail the conversation as much as the 'other side', and frequently moreso.

I think you probably know what I mean by gun culture.
by LondonDomer  (2018-02-14 21:50:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And of course it’s not the standard gun owner. But America’s fascination and obsession with guns, even the guys as WB says below with the Yeti cooler and a $3500 AR, is absolutely unique to America. No where else in the world is like that even countries with very high rates of gun ownership. It would be very weird for a Swiss man to pull out his new AR15 at a dinner party and show his friends. That shit happens all the time in American suburbs. Now do I think Joe the accountant with his AR is a danger? No. But the gun culture around him needing a semi auto weapon with a 20 round mag is weird.

I know several people with some type of AR-15
by wcnitz  (2018-02-15 05:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None of them have ever pulled it out to show someone at dinner.

You have a perception of 'gun culture'. Whatever it is, this guy wasn't a part of it anyway.

I kinda think he was.
by LondonDomer  (2018-02-15 14:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Posing with his guns, taking pictures of all his guns spread across his bed, bragging about his growing "arsenal" -- that is EXACTLY the gun culture I'm talking about. And it's a common thread amongst these perpetrators -- behavior just like that, glorifying guns and violence.

You know better people than I do. There is definitely a
by inigomontoya  (2018-02-15 07:51:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

weird gun culture for a percentage of gun owners and even if you want to call it 5 percent that is lot of weirdos.

I would also say for the CPL people, that aren’t business owners with lots of cash, their is a lot of unhealthy paranoia over the perceived need to strap on a pistol every day.

My wife is I the medical field in rural Georgia. She estimates over 50% of her patients come in armed and have to put their guns on the chair when getting examined. Some have multiple guns, you know, just in case.

This. So much of the gun culture is twisted. Lots of guns
by Inigomontoya  (2018-02-14 17:44:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lots of people. X percent of people in the total population are twisted.

Lots of gun deaths.

The culture as a whole is twisted. *
by fletch  (2018-02-14 23:45:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very true, but again, I have to wonder,
by usmcirish  (2018-02-14 17:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

why now? Or at least since Columbine?

Those stickers were prevalent in the 60's but the shootings in schools and theaters, etc were not.

What are the societal links since about 2000 that have so escalated these things? This is horrific and the absolute worst aspect is we seem to be getting used to it.

Not expecting you to have the answer, just stating some thoughts.

Gun culture really the same in the 1960s? *
by squid  (2018-02-14 19:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure what you mean. For example,
by usmcirish  (2018-02-14 21:45:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the NRA was run in the '80's-'90's by Joe Foss who earned the Medal of Honor flying at Guadalcanal. Nobody in those days called him a gun nut. He was also AFL Commissioner and Governor of South Dakota.

I think the posts below hit it correctly. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we had NRA instructors teaching us marksmanship. They were, to a man, WWII or Korean combat vets. They taught us well, were lifetime NRA members, believed strongly in the 2nd Amendment and would have never been able to comprehend the shit that is happening today in schools and such.

Everybody in the Scouts had this sort of training for the merit badge.

Maybe dad's did not parade around with AR-15's, but most of my friends dad's growing up had M-1's or carbines etc they brought back from the war. Heck, my grandfather had his '03 Springfield that he carried to France in 1918. None of his kids or grandkids would have dreamed of even touching that piece without him being present.

I grew up in suburban Los Angeles. Certainly not even remotely a gun culture or hunting environment compared to the rest of the country.

You are describing warriors and sportsmen
by captaineclectic  (2018-02-15 08:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not social misfits who bought guns to compensate for a trouser deficiency.

The NRA has devolved into a lobby for gun manufacturers.
by thersh  (2018-02-14 23:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is their only real mission at this point.

I graduated high school in 99, it was common for people
by Jeash  (2018-02-14 22:52:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to bring their hunting rifle/shotgun to school to go hunting with after school. This was pretty common at rural schools. I accidentally took a loaded 44 to school on a tractor that we were going to repaint in shop class. I walked through the school with a loaded gun to the principals office, where he unloaded the gun and kept the bullets. He then gave the gun back to me and told me to keep it in my locker until the end of the day. This all changed after Columbine. In a way guns were more common at schools pre-columbine.

I don't think guns were 'cool' to the same degree.
by squid  (2018-02-16 03:29:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A heck of a difference between a hunting rifle/shotgun and a small armory to show off to your friends and demonstrate something about your identity.

I think that’s hard to say.
by WilfordBrimley  (2018-02-14 21:13:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A larger segment of the population owned weapons back then, but you didn’t have suburban dads with their Yeti coolers and such buying 15 AR’s because they’re cool.

I will say, though, I don’t think those types are the proximate problem. I would worry more about the person completely dissociated from society with delusions and so forth. I certainly think it’s worth exploring why he (always a he) commits spree shootings at a rate that is far, far higher than it was thirty or fifty years ago when access to weapons and the functional capacity of them is essentially unchanged.

Now, whether the suburban dad with 15 ARs’s is the ultimate problem in that he enables a system that provides extraordinarily easy access to weapons is a different question. Maybe, but it’s tough to determine how different that is from what we were like sixty years ago.

I’ve long questioned why the rise has been post-Columbine for spree shooters whereas we were basically in line with the rest of the developed world before that. What changed?

I think media, the internet, and the fracturing and atomization of American culture obviously played a factor, but I wonder if the dying off of WW2 vets played a role as well. Those men had seen extraordinarily violence in their lifetimes and perpetuated a certain kind of culture. Obviously, they abrogated any sort of responsibility towards the impoverished sectors of our nation after the 1960’s, but I don’t think it’s outlandish to think they played a role in keeping social norms intact in mainstream middle class America.

Static gun ownership, decreasing gun crime, but increasing
by barrister  (2018-02-14 21:25:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mass/school shootings by young men with apparent social issues or mental illness.

I don’t know what the solution is. Is it medication-related?

Edit: Does media coverage make these events more likely? I don’t know but can’t dismiss the possibility.

I'm guessing the tail of gun ownership has changed.
by squid  (2018-02-16 03:32:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fewer people have a couple of hunting rifles. But more people have a small armory in order to demonstrate something about themselves. It's signaling.

I have no idea.
by WilfordBrimley  (2018-02-14 21:36:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t think there’s any question that the link between access to firearms and overall gun violence is strong, but the question of spree shootings in particular just baffles me.

Looking at the larger picture of gun violence over the last generation or so, if I remember correctly, suicides are way up, drug and general urban violence is way down, domestic violence is relatively similar or maybe a slight drop, and spree shootings are up like 500%. I have no idea why.

ETA: I do think there’s something to the idea that fifty years ago, virtually all of these guys would have been institutionalized. I don’t know how you get around that mountain without severely curtailing civil rights.

All good questions. *
by LondonDomer  (2018-02-14 17:47:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post