Not sure what you mean. For example,
by usmcirish (2018-02-14 21:45:05)
Edited on 2018-02-14 21:47:31

In reply to: Gun culture really the same in the 1960s? *  posted by squid

the NRA was run in the '80's-'90's by Joe Foss who earned the Medal of Honor flying at Guadalcanal. Nobody in those days called him a gun nut. He was also AFL Commissioner and Governor of South Dakota.

I think the posts below hit it correctly. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we had NRA instructors teaching us marksmanship. They were, to a man, WWII or Korean combat vets. They taught us well, were lifetime NRA members, believed strongly in the 2nd Amendment and would have never been able to comprehend the shit that is happening today in schools and such.

Everybody in the Scouts had this sort of training for the merit badge.

Maybe dad's did not parade around with AR-15's, but most of my friends dad's growing up had M-1's or carbines etc they brought back from the war. Heck, my grandfather had his '03 Springfield that he carried to France in 1918. None of his kids or grandkids would have dreamed of even touching that piece without him being present.

I grew up in suburban Los Angeles. Certainly not even remotely a gun culture or hunting environment compared to the rest of the country.

You are describing warriors and sportsmen
by captaineclectic  (2018-02-15 08:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not social misfits who bought guns to compensate for a trouser deficiency.

The NRA has devolved into a lobby for gun manufacturers.
by thersh  (2018-02-14 23:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is their only real mission at this point.

I graduated high school in 99, it was common for people
by Jeash  (2018-02-14 22:52:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to bring their hunting rifle/shotgun to school to go hunting with after school. This was pretty common at rural schools. I accidentally took a loaded 44 to school on a tractor that we were going to repaint in shop class. I walked through the school with a loaded gun to the principals office, where he unloaded the gun and kept the bullets. He then gave the gun back to me and told me to keep it in my locker until the end of the day. This all changed after Columbine. In a way guns were more common at schools pre-columbine.

I don't think guns were 'cool' to the same degree.
by squid  (2018-02-16 03:29:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A heck of a difference between a hunting rifle/shotgun and a small armory to show off to your friends and demonstrate something about your identity.