Why?
by squid (2018-08-15 13:03:24)

In reply to: High School GPA inflation.  posted by sluredandstumbly

Basically what you think should be a GPA is outdated. People recognized that an A in a honors or AP class should be recognized with a higher numerical “grade”. Giving an A in an AP class a 5.0 helped diminish the problem.

Is the 5.0 illustrative? That seems quite high...
by NavyJoe  (2018-08-15 13:41:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At my high school, AP classes were worth an extra 10%, so the max your grade could be was 4.4 (or 110 on the 0-100 scale). That was enough of a boost to ensure that the student ranking accurately reflected which kids were the best students.

We had 6.0 for AP and 5.0 for honors classes,
by WilfordBrimley  (2018-08-15 13:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but then the school also differentiated between weighted GPA and unweighted GPA. Universities asked for both if I recall correctly. Is that still not the case?

I would bet that many schools in Georgia use a system along those lines, and that's where the average 4.whatever stats originate, and they just fail to mention the scales.

For me, 20 years ago.
by squid  (2018-08-15 13:47:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For an A:
4.0 for regular classes. 4.5 for honors. 5.0 for AP.

I think A-:
3.67 for regular classes. 4.17 for honors. 4.67 for AP.

So I guess a B+ in AP was equivalent to an A in a regular class. And that is probably still underweighting the AP class.

GPA is pretty much worthless when compared across schools. Not arguing with that.

That part I get and support.
by sluredandstumbly  (2018-08-15 13:08:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I don’t see how that translates into a 4.04 AVERAGE for the incoming class. Either thousands of students are taking nothing but AP/Honors classes (and receiving A’s in every one), or there is rampant grade inflation. This isn’t Harvard we’re talking about.