Slight Highjack - TV Antenna
by subalumt (2018-10-16 16:57:05)

In reply to: another cord cutting streaming thread!  posted by cujaysfan

Curious what I might be doing wrong.

To test out cutting the cord I purchased one of those flat inside TV antennas from Amazon.

I tried it out on two different TV's without success(plugging / screwing it into the Antenna In 'jack' on the back of both TV's......connecting the amplifier that came with it.....and plugging the amplifier to the electric outlet jack).

Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? On the one TV when I tried to change its source, it would not allow me to select "TV". On the second I was able to select the right source but no channels came in.

Appreciate the all wise Back Room input!

The amplifier could be messing it up.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2018-10-16 21:10:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try it without the amplifier.

Alternatively, do what I did: bend a large paper clip into a loop, plug it into the jack, and see what channels you get after a scan. You might be surprised what a paper clip can pick up.

Your TV will need to have an OTA tuner built in.
by ribs  (2018-10-16 17:14:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think most tvs have them at this point. Once connected, you should find a prompt for the TV to scan for available stations. You will probably have to browse to the setup/settings area for this. The scan can take a few minutes. And if you are within 20 miles of a reasonable metro area, you will get dozens of channels. Most of the them junk, but you can delete the ones you don't want from the scan. Might check the owners manual on your tv. If you don't have it, just google the TV model and it's owner's manual or quick start guide. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thank You! *
by subalumt  (2018-10-16 18:04:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post