What's wrong with the deep south?
by ShillelaghHugger (2018-12-12 15:54:47)
Edited on 2018-12-12 15:55:05

In reply to: Chicago now tops the nation in number of breweries (link)  posted by Raoul

AL, MS, LA & Arkansas all rank last in almost every category for breweries per capita, consumption, etc.

I've never spent much time in Mississippi. I realize they're not a wealthy state .

Just 12 craft breweries statewide. Hell Hawaii has 18. Last in beer consumption nationally.

Interestingly Vermont is the highest breweries per capita & they drink the most beer per capita. Delware is 2nd most in beer consumption but far fewer breweries.

It's not just the DEEP South
by pmac98  (2018-12-12 17:03:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am fairly stunned after relocating to Durham, NC how many of my coworkers don't drink at all.

Happy hours are like herding cats/children who stubbornly either refuse to go or sit in the corner sipping on ice water waiting to leave.

This is true, but what about the beer culture in RTP?
by dbldomer7375  (2018-12-13 07:46:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of small breweries, home brew shops and pubs all over the place. Heck, even the Durham Bulls have their own on-site brewery. Can't top that.

I work at a local golf course and in the summer I work with a bunch of high school students. I came in late on a Sunday and found seven unopened beers down in the cart barn. I looked at all the high school aged boys and asked them why those beers were still there? They all said they didn't like to drink beer. Naturally, I confiscated the unclaimed brews. When I was in high school, free beer was like a miracle. I weep for the future.

Baptists and Methodists *
by Nitschke  (2018-12-12 16:39:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Homebrewing in AL wasn't legal until 7/1/2013
by fontoknow  (2018-12-12 16:28:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Homebrewing appears to be a prerequisite of a micro brew culture.

6%+ ABV beer was illegal until 2008 or 2009
by alabama_nd  (2018-12-12 19:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was no longer living in the state at this time, but my recollection is that some of the big beer distributors lobbied hard to keep that 6% threshold and were successful for a quite a while. Free the Hops eventually organized to get the law overturned.

Per Alabama State Rep Alvin Holmes - "What's wrong with the beers we got? They drink pretty good"

And even then it has taken awhile to be accepted
by raygun  (2018-12-12 16:48:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was reading an article earlier this week about how it is often seen in the same vein as moonshine. You are right that without a homebrewing base you won't get a micro brew culture, but I think it takes a while for homebrewing to actually reach critical mass.

One word: Moonshine.
by TWO  (2018-12-12 15:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just kidding...have no clue.

Another word: Baptists. *
by beancounter  (2018-12-12 16:15:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post