Slightly OT ... I wish that more drivers would try a
by ndhouston (2019-03-23 17:06:37)

In reply to: Indycar qualifying at COTA: 14 secs lap off of F1  posted by ferndog

variety of circuits - F1, Indy, NASCAR, etc. It would have been great to see Tony Stewart at Indy later in his career (or Jeff Gordon at all), and I would enjoy watching more Americans drivers and car companies try to conquer F1.

Would be interesting to do a best driver challenge
by DBCooper  (2019-03-24 14:20:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every 4 years maybe? Get the best drivers in the different circuits to drive in a variety of races that combine everything.

Happens every year, sort of. It's called "Race of Champions"
by cujays96  (2019-03-24 19:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw someone mention IROC. That format lost all validity when it essentially became stock car racing on ovals.

It’s been done.
by ewillND  (2019-03-24 15:44:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or tried at least. I think IROC lasted about 10 years, but has been gone for about 10 years.

Stewart may still take a run at it
by Smokin_Clover  (2019-03-23 22:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was close to pulling the trigger this year but pulled back and said he needs to get himself into shape. There's a very real chance he comes back to Indy in 2020.

Speedvision did great swap of Hamilton & Tony Stewart.
by ferndog  (2019-03-23 22:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a lot of fun to watch, from about 2011.

It’s not the drivers. It’s the contracts.
by cujays96  (2019-03-23 20:06:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Mercedes F1 is paying Lewis Hamilton more than Lebron James, they don’t want to risk him being injured in another series.

Alonso got to race the Indy 500 because McLaren was desperate to hold on to him.

Alonso is doing a bit of that, which is cool.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-03-23 20:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In addition to the Indy 500 last year, he's also run sports car races (I believe he's won both LeMans and Daytona).

His LeMans win was a matter of not crashing.
by cujays96  (2019-03-23 20:07:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Toyota had zero competition with Audi’s exit from WEC.

Somewhat true. But his stints in the car were magical.
by ferndog  (2019-03-23 22:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The way he ran down the other competitor at LeMans was impressive. And his stints at Daytona in the rain we’re also magical, guys flying off the track all around him.

It’s super impressive given how truly little seat-time he has had in the cars. I truly believe you could plop him down in anything on the planet, and he’d be competitive within the span of a couple of hours of seat time.

I will take nothing away from him as a driver.
by cujays96  (2019-03-24 19:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I would like to have seen him have to compete against Audi at LeMans.