Hertz is great though you do pay a premium
by pmac98 (2019-04-22 11:35:03)

In reply to: Best rental car companies for quick pick up  posted by Tex Francisco

no line waiting, go to car they've assigned you. Don't like it? Pick any car in the aisle/class that you've reserved.

Drive you to booth exit with CC and DL.

Again, you pay a premium for Hertz which many people scoff at. But I love the ease and out of the rental line that never moves.

There is no premium. Hertz Gold Plus is free *
by sprack  (2019-04-22 11:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, Hertz Gold is free.
by pmac98  (2019-04-22 12:02:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just meant you pay a premium on Hertz versus other rental companies' rates, by and large.

Not necessarily. I've gotten some great deals from Hertz
by sprack  (2019-04-22 12:10:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if you're in AAA, you get a nice discount.

Also, it's worth it internationally. Their service is top notch. I've had five flat tires in my life, but one time was in the Connor Pass on the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland (maybe the worst place in the country to get a flat tire) and another was in the Scottish Highlands. I also left a package in a car in France. Great service in all three instances, and great cars, too.

And in all three of those instances, their prices were as good or better than anyone's. At other times, it hasn't been or they didn't have the car I wanted so I went with someone else, but usually they do. And in point of fact, on business domestically, I usually book with Avis, not Hertz, so it's not like I have a crazy Hertz bias, but their prices really aren't much different.

Ha. Gotta love the internet
by pmac98  (2019-04-22 13:35:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You sound like you're disagreeing with me yet I agree with everything you posted.

C'est la vie in 2019.

I do think that was definitely true at one time with Hertz
by sprack  (2019-04-22 13:51:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But not for quite a while compared to Avis and National, at least. You can still get cheaper cars offsite, but you pay for it in convenience. I do think Hertz is still the most consistently good from place to place domestically, but Avis has just about caught up and I get upgraded automatically with them more often so that's who I look at first. But if the price for a particular rental on Avis is higher than usual (and week to week it an vary greatly in some markets), I then look to Hertz and as often as not it's cheaper.