Nobody but business travelers book directly through
by Tex Francisco (2019-04-22 11:55:29)

In reply to: And Avis Preferred is free  posted by sprack

the rental car companies. Everyone uses Hotwire, Expedia, Costco, etc., where you don't get to pick your company.

you mean, everyone but sophisticated travelers? *
by ACross  (2019-04-22 21:21:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have booked through Costco and we can see
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-04-22 13:58:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who we are going with before pulling the trigger.

You can also attach your rental program info
by Brandon  (2019-04-22 14:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you're Avis or Enterprise etc they allow for you to attach your info so you get credit as a member of that particular company. I often look at Costco at least to compare.

funny but for whatever reason
by pmac98  (2019-04-22 12:03:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never book with a Costco, Expedia, Kayak, Orbitz. I use them all for price aggregation but always book direct from the source.

Hate buying trips through packages.

Exactly. I use them for comparison shopping only
by sprack  (2019-04-22 12:09:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are sometimes wild price differences on rental cars in the same city at the same time, so it's always worth looking, but I get the price and then I book at the source.

That has bupkes to with being in the programs
by sprack  (2019-04-22 11:57:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You give them your membership number, and you get all the benefits.

Also, booking through the services doesn't get you discounts that you can't get directly from the rental companies.

Sure, but if you rent a car once or twice per year, and
by Tex Francisco  (2019-04-22 12:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

those rentals are spread across 5 or 6 different companies, then most people don't see any benefit from membership because they will never accumulate enough rewards to get any free rentals. I'm guessing most people either aren't aware of or forget about the ancillary benefits.

You really stumble through life thinking that your I Phone
by ACross  (2019-04-22 21:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has all the answers.

Well then they must like waiting in line
by sprack  (2019-04-22 12:05:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because filling out the application takes shorter than waiting in line for a single rental, and you have it for life.

Free rentals aren't the point. Saving time is. Cripes, Hertz had ads on it 30 years ago. You know, O.J. running through the airport to rent his white Ford Bronco from Hertz?