garbage ending is the death knell for HBO *
by airborneirish (2019-05-19 23:59:13)

In reply to: Out of curiosity  posted by osbournecox

This user did not provide content for this post

This is a very funny post. Well done! *
by sprack  (2019-05-20 11:34:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll see, but absent changes things don't look good
by airborneirish  (2019-05-20 16:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. they recently lost their President https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/hbo-ceo-richard-plepler-resignation-ominous-for-att-warner-buy.html
2. They have stuck to their weird distribution model that marries them unnecessarily to cable.
3. They couldn't control D&D. Despite the availability of funds and demands from viewers they rushed this season and it has showed (see rotten tomatoes reviews)
4. They have stuck with the weekly release schedule instead of netflix style season dump that consumers have shown a preference for
5. Their original content severely lags that of netflix

Though I posted in jest I do think there is something wrong with HBO and the spectacle of this season supports that.

You mentioned Soprano's but HBO was leading the pack at that time with innovative content that couldn't be found elsewhere. They were doing so well that fans were buying the content in media such as DVDs.

Times have changed and HBO has shown it isn't adapting well while also moving away from its core competency of high quality content. Change my mind.

Ah yes, the unsatisfying end of a hugely popular show
by elterrible  (2019-05-20 09:36:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

clearly indicates the end of the network.

HBO is still reeling from that Sopranos ending
by sprack  (2019-05-20 11:35:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that everyone is still talking about years later.

And people hated the Sopranos ending
by HTownND  (2019-05-20 12:58:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For weeks on end, until they didn't (they also didn't like the last season either, but that's just too much crazy. People forget the ratings were way down, and there was a lot of internet hand wringing over the body counts and other turns the last season took).

I remember the episode when Tony finally kills Chris and heads to Vegas to smoke peyote pissing a ton of people on the interwebs off.

It's always wise to remember that
by sprack  (2019-05-20 13:05:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

much of the internet is the YouTube comments section.

And the YouTube comments section is dark and full of terrors *
by FtWorthIrish  (2019-05-20 15:27:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never again will I start a plot driven show
by osbournecox  (2019-05-20 00:02:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Until it is over.

I have a colleague that lives by this rule
by Shifty  (2019-05-20 10:12:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few weeks ago I reminded him of it. He replied, "Game of Thrones? I am VINDICATED!"

GoT - final proof that you should never trust TV writers to
by NDBob  (2019-05-20 09:08:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pen a successful ending to anything.

* This conveniently applies to both the Game of Thrones the TV show and A Song of Ice and Fire the book series.

concur - that's how I played mad men and breaking bad
by airborneirish  (2019-05-20 00:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

worked out great